• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on proprty I want to sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJA89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I recently divorced in FL, but my X and I have a house in Va which we agreed to sell per our mediated agreement (included in final judgment) in Florida. When we purchased the house, her mother gave us money for the down payment. We also received money from my parents. On the loan application we disclosed both as gifts, not loans. We did repay my parents years later when we refinanced the house. We offered to pay her mother back at that time, but she did not take the money. Then the divorce. Now she wants the money back, at least my half. In the divorce mediation, it was not included as part of the outstanding debt on the house. In spite of that, my x mother in law contacted a lawyer who sent me a letter demanding immediate repayment plus interest. Included with the letter was a copy of the original check with "Loan for house" written on the memo line. I responded, via my lawyer, that there was no loan and that we would like to see the original check to examine if the mention of loan had been written later. She dropped her demand for the time, but is now pursuing a lien on the house in Virginia prior to the sale. My X, who signed the loan application declaring that no part of the down payment was a loan and who signed a divorce settlement agreement that there was no loan other that the mortgage, now says the money from her mother was a loan. I guess my question is, was it a loan? Does the copy of a personal check with the word "loan" written on it (after the fact) constitute a contract? How can I fight this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

Perhaps you should post this in the Real Estate section of the board ( buying and selling a home ),and delete this thread here .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">