• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limitation of Liability Clause in Wedding Hall Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave154842

Hi,

I'd first like to thank everyone's contributions in this forum :).
I'm about ready to sign a contract for a wedding hall in NY and they have this one clause they won't remove stating:

--> "Limitation of Liability. In no event shall Caterer's liability in connection with this Agreement exceed the amount of money actually paid to the Caterer pursuant to this Agreement, regardless of type or theory of claims or damages."

My concern is about fees for bands and photographers which will cost thousands of dollars. In the event there's a problem at this venue, I'd seemingly still have to pay these other vendors and could not recover from the venue.

Any suggestions or advice in how to deal with this?

(Note: I have not yet asked the venue to change this too strongly, their response was "The only one we can’t change is # 7 amending the liability clause, that is standard from our attorneys". Do you think I could perhaps get them to allow for reimbursement for fees incurred for band, photography, flowers, invitations?)

(I have not yet seen any contracts for the band or photographer)

Last edited:

sandyclaus

Hi,

I'd first like to thank everyone's contributions in this forum :).
I'm about ready to sign a contract for a wedding hall in NY and they have this one clause they won't remove stating:

--> "Limitation of Liability. In no event shall Caterer's liability in connection with this Agreement exceed the amount of money actually paid to the Caterer pursuant to this Agreement, regardless of type or theory of claims or damages."

My concern is about fees for bands and photographers which will cost thousands of dollars. In the event there's a problem at this venue, I'd seemingly still have to pay these other vendors and could not recover from the venue.

Any suggestions or advice in how to deal with this?

(Note: I have not yet asked the venue to change this too strongly, their response was "The only one we can’t change is # 7 amending the liability clause, that is standard from our attorneys". Do you think I could perhaps get them to allow for reimbursement for fees incurred for band, photography, flowers, invitations?)

(I have not yet seen any contracts for the band or photographer)
You can ASK, but don't expect them to waive this clause. If this is a deal-breaker for you, then you need to find a different venue for the wedding where their contract does not include such a clause.

dave154842

You can ASK, but don't expect them to waive this clause. If this is a deal-breaker for you, then you need to find a different venue for the wedding where their contract does not include such a clause.
Is a clause like this normal in a wedding hall contract as far as you know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">