• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pleasehelpmeout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My wife purchased a piece of computer hardware a few years back that is now failing. The retailer she purchased the hardware from advertised it (and still does) as having a limited lifetime warranty. Apparently, in the boxing materials (which I don't currently have available to look at), the manufacturer stated that the lifetime warranty would only apply if I had sent in the registration card within 30 days of purchasing the product. Otherwise, I will only receive a 2 year warranty.

Now, nearly 3 years later, the computer hardware is dead, and the manufacturer is refusing to warranty the product. I didn't know I had to send in a registration card to get the warranty that was blatantly advertised on the product page at the retailer's website.

Is this false advertising on the part of the retailer? On the part of the manufacturer?

I also found this: http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.7.71.0.45.7.html

It seems to imply that a manufacturer cannot stipulate that a consumer return a registration card in order to receive the stated warranty. Can someone confirm/deny this? What is my recourse, if that is the case?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My wife purchased a piece of computer hardware a few years back that is now failing. The retailer she purchased the hardware from advertised it (and still does) as having a limited lifetime warranty. Apparently, in the boxing materials (which I don't currently have available to look at), the manufacturer stated that the lifetime warranty would only apply if I had sent in the registration card within 30 days of purchasing the product. Otherwise, I will only receive a 2 year warranty.

Now, nearly 3 years later, the computer hardware is dead, and the manufacturer is refusing to warranty the product. I didn't know I had to send in a registration card to get the warranty that was blatantly advertised on the product page at the retailer's website.

Is this false advertising on the part of the retailer? On the part of the manufacturer?

I also found this: http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.7.71.0.45.7.html

It seems to imply that a manufacturer cannot stipulate that a consumer return a registration card in order to receive the stated warranty. Can someone confirm/deny this? What is my recourse, if that is the case?
How much did the computer hardware cost? How much would it cost to replace it now? Is it something that could have realistically lasted for life?..or even still be compatible with computers as they morph over the years? The question is not so much a one of do you have any recourse, but more a question of whether any recourse you had would cost more than replacing the hardware.

justalayman

first, the section you linked speaks of a full warranty. You are dealing with a limited warranty. I did not look to see if there is a similar section concerning limited warranties.

then, do you have proof of purchase?

then, if it is a limited warranty, just what is warranted? What are the limitations of the warranty? Do they actually warrant it will work for as long as you own the product or, by chance is the limitation restricting the warranty to manufacturers defects which means that they don't warranty it will never wear out but won't quit working because of a defect.

too little info, too many unanswered questions

and feeding off LDiJ's response: will it cost more to have it warranted than to just go buy a new one? Often times such warranties impose a shipping fee to send you a new part after you spend the money to send it to them. A handling fee is not uncommon either.

Last edited:
Lifetime warranties of computers are on the expected life, not for the lifetime of its owner. Manufacturers are only required to be able to service computers (and not smart phones) for a certain length of time. I've got buddies who have been thrilled when certain PITA computers were no longer required to be service, especially one computer that was so dangerous that they were routinely tested on the exact procedure to open the thing and a single answer wrong meant their certs were pulled for 30 days, meaning they were put on leave, because one wrong step could kill you.

The computer had a two-year warranty. To extend that to a third year with a limited warranty, the consumer had to send in a response card. OP, why did you not bother to do that? And anyway, even if, IF, it were to turn out that that's not legal and so you should get the full three years, are you willing to hire an attorney to fight in court to get your computer servicing comped?

OHRoadwarrior

Manufacturers often set out procedures you must follow in order to collect on their warranties. For example, I just bought a set of 100k mile tires where the warranty requires you have the tires rotated and noted on a card every 5,000 miles. If you do not comply, you don't receive the benefits of the warranty.

justalayman

Manufacturers often set out procedures you must follow in order to collect on their warranties. For example, I just bought a set of 100k mile tires where the warranty requires you have the tires rotated and noted on a card every 5,000 miles. If you do not comply, you don't receive the benefits of the warranty.
but they rotate every time you move the vehicle. Why would you have to have signed proof of such? It would be obvious to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">