• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local power company damaged electronics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfreeland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN
Local power company DTE Energy has a checkered past when it comes to power delivery. I have had several recent outages, and we have had four service calls on damaged appliances under our service contract (insurance) with DTE. On 15 Mar 2010, we had a massive power spike, and it blew up our home theater projector. I sent the unit in for repair to a factory authorized repair station in California. The estimate came back at $1,563.00 !
I called the utility, and they said they would send a claim form, but that they didn't show "any problems" along our circuit. A standard answer, I'm told.
My question is this: do I have recourse in small claims for this damage? The utility is all-powerful, and has no competition in metro Detroit.
Will they attempt to escalate?

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN
Local power company DTE Energy has a checkered past when it comes to power delivery. I have had several recent outages, and we have had four service calls on damaged appliances under our service contract (insurance) with DTE. On 15 Mar 2010, we had a massive power spike, and it blew up our home theater projector. I sent the unit in for repair to a factory authorized repair station in California. The estimate came back at $1,563.00 !
I called the utility, and they said they would send a claim form, but that they didn't show "any problems" along our circuit. A standard answer, I'm told.
My question is this: do I have recourse in small claims for this damage? The utility is all-powerful, and has no competition in metro Detroit.
Will they attempt to escalate?
You likely have little to no recourse.

1 - you will have virtually zip ability to actual prove a power spike did occur. The toasted device proves nothing.

2 - You would have to prove the power supply occurred because of negligence for DTE to have any liability

3 - They will defend saying it is YOUR fault and you would not be able to prove othwerwise

4 - To make you case and counter their defense you would need power data you don't have and an electrical engineers expert testimony. All of which would cost enough to become your own generating station, let alone the cost of a probably obsolete projection TV.

If you have crappy power supply issues and have expensive appliances, you need to get good quality current protectors on all those devices or better still invest in a whole house power conditioner.

Last edited:

csi7

However, you do have the right to share your concerns with the state agency that oversees the power company.

racer72

You are lucky your power company would even consider reimbursement for voltage spikes. My power company won't even consider paying for damage caused by their power. They claim it is the consumer's responsibility to protect their electronics. That is why anything electrical I own valued over $50 has a surge protector between it and the wall outlet. CYA applies in more than one way in situations like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">