• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for guidance on indemnification language

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

71Corvette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Hello all,

My fiance and I are currently in the process of booking a ceremony and reception venue for our wedding. The rental of this venue also includes wedding planning and coordination services. During a review of the vendor's proposed contract we've noticed there's a paragraph regarding indemnification. Following is the language included in the contract:

"The undersigned user, [name witheld], and the persons thereof who will be participating in the use of facilities, hereby agree.. To release and indemnify and hold harmless [name witheld], its officers, agents, and employees, from all liability and claims of any kind, including claims based on negligence, for any injury, loss or harm that might arise or occur during or in connection with the Users' use of event facilities."

I only have limited experience working with contracts at work, but this language makes me nervous whereas it's so broad. I'm contemplating requesting this clause be striken or altered but thought I'd seek some opinions here first. Any thoughts or suggestions for alternate language would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

QSTERLING

it's standard contract language for venue rental. my contract for wedding read the same. basically you will not sue, for instance, if the wedding coordinator starts your reception 10 minutes late, or your cake is facing backwards on the cake table, or if someone in your party pulls a crazy stunt and hurts themself (swan dive catching the bouquet or garter and a pile of your fancy-dressed family and friends land on the floor) :). hopefully you will invite well-behaved folks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">