• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost deposit on carpet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dayhawk99

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I found a carpet company through the phone book and I hired them to install carpet in my house. I put down a $400 deposit on the carpet. They took my check and cashed it and never came. I called them and called them for weeks and no one answered. Finally their phone number came back as disconnected. I found thier business address in the phone book and found it to be a residential address. When I visited the woman who lived there. she denied ever being affiliated with a carpet company (even though the business phone number was in her name). I have no idea who owns the company, and the only name i have is that of this woman who had the company's phone number in her name. Can I sue this woman for my money back, even though I have no proof that she was an owner of this company? Or is there some resource I can use to find out who owns (or owned) the company. Thx so much for any help.

djohnson

Who is your check made payable to? Who cashed it? Have you got a copy of the back and front of it? That will tell you who you need to sue. It will also tell you their banking information for when you get judgment.

dayhawk99

Pennsylvania.

The check was made payable to the company name. On the back was stamped "for deposit only". Since the company number is now disconnected and the only address I have for the company is a residential address this is my problem. I only have the company name.. cant find the company. So, I don't know who I can sue over this. Only have the woman's name who had the phone number in her name. Thx.

djohnson

Which means the bank account was set up as that business name of DBA. File suit against that company name using the same information you had with the check. The same address etc.. Check to see if it is a registered company name.

pammness

also

dayhawk99 said:
Pennsylvania.

The check was made payable to the company name. On the back was stamped "for deposit only". Since the company number is now disconnected and the only address I have for the company is a residential address this is my problem. I only have the company name.. cant find the company. So, I don't know who I can sue over this. Only have the woman's name who had the phone number in her name. Thx.
The company deposited it only, contact your bank and find out whose account it went to... that bank will have the account holders information.... given this situation, either their bank or yours should be able to obtain this for you, you can and should also contact the Better Business Bureau near you. Find out if there registered there and what they know. They have contct information listed for any business registered to them. Explain to them your story.... They may be able to direct you and if this business is listed through them, you can file a complaint ! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">