• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost in love

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phinneasPhog

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My girlfriend of 6 years has been building a house. She told me that if I was going to marry her and live in the house I would have to help with the work, to which I agreed (she was trying to keep the cost of the house down). Now the house is almost complete, work almost done and she decided she didn't want to date me any longer.

Do I have any legal recourse to be compensated for the work I did perform on the house? If so, what should I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

phinneasPhog said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My girlfriend of 6 years has been building a house. She told me that if I was going to marry her and live in the house I would have to help with the work, to which I agreed (she was trying to keep the cost of the house down). Now the house is almost complete, work almost done and she decided she didn't want to date me any longer.

Do I have any legal recourse to be compensated for the work I did perform on the house? If so, what should I do?

My response:

None, zip, zilch, zero. You're out of luck, and a girlfriend. You have no cause of action because you did it out of love, and for the relationship - - and not as the result of an expectation of compensation.

IAAL

P

phinneasPhog

lost in love

I understand what you are saying, but the agreement clearly had conditions that were of value to each of us. I performed work as part of this agreement, which benefited her financially. She did not live up to her end of the agreement. I do have copies of e-mails in which we discussed the agreement.

Surely there must be some way for me to get paid for the 70+ hours of work I put into her house, even if at a labor rate. I was clearly taken advantage of, to her benefit, and believe I should be compensated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: lost in love

phinneasPhog said:
"I understand what you are saying, but . . .

and believe I should be compensated."

=======================================

My response:

Clearly, you DON'T understand.

Your "belief" and a dime won't even buy you a cup of coffee in the courthouse cafeteria, let alone a judgment. You've got nothing.

She knew exactly what she was doing - - and, because of your puppy dog feelings, you fell for it hook, line and sinker. You should have put any "agreement" in writing, including the value of your hourly work.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
Love is blind. And in this case, blind faith.
I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.

My response:

I've got BOTH album covers for that album - - still sealed in their original shrink wrap. I'm still waiting for their value, as a pair, to increase even more. And, I've got it on CD for playing.

IAAL

HomeGuru

Too cool man.
The one with the naked girl with bared breasts holding the airplane is going up in value. Remember back when that cover was considered objectionable?
As a pair, the value is there. The albums that is.
Well All Right.

A

allen03

Phinneas, suing her for money (which you can't do anyway) will not heal your broken heart and it sure won't make her want you back. Move on.

O

oopsidaisy

Ginger Baker...Rules!!!!!! Do what you like, what a drum solo.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oopsidaisy said:
Ginger Baker...Rules!!!!!! Do what you like, what a drum solo.

My response:

I had been to see him at his house in Santa Barbara County, California a few times, and watched him play Polo on his ranch with his friends. Also, watched him and listened to him play his drums a few times, with Jack Bruce singing and playing bass. Great music. But, as always, he looks like a "Skeleton" or a concentration camp victim. Extremely thin and gaunt.

Now, he's since moved to Idaho with his beautiful wife and, from what I understand, he's now growing Avocados.

I do miss listening live to his drum solos, and his double bass. Did you know that he's the one who started the "double bass" craze among drummers?

IAAL

adam2dot0

I bought a guy I dated furniture, paid to fix his car, all sorts of stuff and he said he'd pay me back, and I was told to chalk it up because I didn't have a legal leg to stand on. Let it go dude, the sooner you start moving on the sooner you'll feel better, and lemme tell ya, it takes a couple years. Oh, and if, BIG IF, you won a lawsuit, huh, have fun collecting it. Ask a lawyer what thats like...

ENASNI

adam2dot0 said:
I bought a guy I dated furniture, paid to fix his car, all sorts of stuff and he said he'd pay me back, and I was told to chalk it up because I didn't have a legal leg to stand on. Let it go dude, the sooner you start moving on the sooner you'll feel better, and lemme tell ya, it takes a couple years. Oh, and if, BIG IF, you won a lawsuit, huh, have fun collecting it. Ask a lawyer what thats like...
If it only takes a couple of years, than this guy IS over it. This thread is almost 3 years old!!

harmy99

His post may be old but the humor of it is still valid to this day. I actually think I saw this case on Judge Judy the other day... And, we could all learn a little lesson here about love, or lack thereof. This man's story is a painful reminder to men about the heartaches we all have experienced and the ways in which the women we loved in the past have used us. It just puts a smile on my face to think that something this awful never happened to me. It really makes me feel better about my own life and puts a little extra Christmas cheer in me. I hope it does for all of you too. Merry Christmas. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">