• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost passport package by FedEx and found after 4 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rajakumar76

I would like to consult and would like to know your opinion regarding lost passports by FedEx.

I have applied for the Singapore visa to attend the conference.
I have submitted my original passport, my wife’s original passport (both Indian passports) along with required documents on March 11th 2016.
Singapore Consulate from San Francisco had given a package containing 2 original passports to the following office on 15 March 2016 at 12.07pm with the FedEx tracking number xxxxxxx.

xxxxxx
111 xxxxx street,
San Francisco, CA xxxxx

But the above mentioned office seems to have misplaced my package somewhere. Singapore consulate sent me a copy of the receipt that the above mentioned office received the package. I have called the FedEx customer care several times.
FedEx said they haven’t received the package from the above mentioned office. But the office said they may have forgotten to scan the label and it is FedEx mistake. Both of them washed their hands. I have filed the police complaint for the loss of passport on 25 March 2016. Then I applied for the new passport for me and my wife and then went to Singapore, India and came back on June 16th.
After 4 months I received a package from FedEx with our old passports on 15th July 2016 with Singapore visa. When I sent the passport to Singapore consulate, I created the return shipping label. FedEx used the same label.

I would like to know if could file a case for the loss of time, money and mental agony I had to go through before leaving to my conference and Home country, as the time to reapply the passports was very less.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks

quincy

I would like to consult and would like to know your opinion regarding lost passports by FedEx.

I have applied for the Singapore visa to attend the conference.
I have submitted my original passport, my wife’s original passport (both Indian passports) along with required documents on March 11th 2016.
Singapore Consulate from San Francisco had given a package containing 2 original passports to the following office on 15 March 2016 at 12.07pm with the FedEx tracking number xxxxxxx.

xxxxxx
111 xxxxx street,
San Francisco, CA xxxxx

But the above mentioned office seems to have misplaced my package somewhere. Singapore consulate sent me a copy of the receipt that the above mentioned office received the package. I have called the FedEx customer care several times.
FedEx said they haven’t received the package from the above mentioned office. But the office said they may have forgotten to scan the label and it is FedEx mistake. Both of them washed their hands. I have filed the police complaint for the loss of passport on 25 March 2016. Then I applied for the new passport for me and my wife and then went to Singapore, India and came back on June 16th.
After 4 months I received a package from FedEx with our old passports on 15th July 2016 with Singapore visa. When I sent the passport to Singapore consulate, I created the return shipping label. FedEx used the same label.

I would like to know if could file a case for the loss of time, money and mental agony I had to go through before leaving to my conference and Home country, as the time to reapply the passports was very less.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks
FreeAdvice handles US law questions and concerns only. I suggest you speak to someone in your part of the world. Good luck.

You cannot sue Fed Ex for loss of time, money and mental agony for misplacing a package.

Last edited:

LdiJ

FreeAdvice handles US law questions and concerns only. I suggest you speak to someone in your part of the world. Good luck.

You cannot sue Fed Ex for loss of time, money and mental agony for misplacing a package.
I think that they might be in the US:

Although it probably doesn't make any difference as no one seems to be able to determine where the problem actually happened.

quincy

I think that they might be in the US:

Although it probably doesn't make any difference as no one seems to be able to determine where the problem actually happened.
Whether the package was lost in a US office or not, the claim would still need to be taken care of by rajakumar in India.

rajakumar could file a eClaim with FedEx but I am not sure much will come from it. The passports were found and returned and rajakumar was able to get replacements prior to his trip. Any delays (while perhaps mentally agonizing) do not seem to have caused any real (or compensable) harm.

Here is a link to FedEx eClaims: http://fedex.com/us/fclpckgenvlp/online-claims/

Now I suppose we can wait for our Swedish member elina to check in with her take on the whole thing. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whether the package was lost in a US office or not, the claim would still need to be taken care of by rajakumar in India.
The Indian consular office in San Francisco is the entity that is being dealt with here. This matter took place entirely within the US.

quincy

The Indian consular office in San Francisco is the entity that is being dealt with here. This matter took place entirely within the US.
It is FedEx that rajakumar is charging with the loss of the passports but it was actually the Singapore Consulate that handed the package containing the passports over to FedEx. It would be the Singapore Consulate that lost a package sent to and intended for rajakumar. It seems that, although rajakumar did not receive the sent package, the Singapore Consulate is the one that would have a claim.

The particular FedEx office is in San Francisco so filing an eClaim can be done from India if rajakumar thinks he has a claim to pursue. I agree that if rajakumar wants to SUE the FedEx office, he will have to take legal action in San Francisco (which seems a colossal waste of time and money - and would probably add to his mental agony).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">