• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

louisiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karen3

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was sued by the owner of a car repair shop. The corporation that owned the car was also owned by my ex. He was the presidant. As a corporate perk, it was a car I used. In the interim divorce agreement, my ex's corporation was directed to continue to pay for the car repairs as it had done in the past.

Wnen the car's brakes went out and during the period when the interim comsent agreement was in force, I went to the repair shop owner and explained that I could not afford to pay the repairs, but that the court had ordered my ex's corporation to pay. He called my ex at the corporation and my ex agreed to the repairs and promised to pay. (Note that this repair owned knew that the car was a corporate owned car and had worked on it previously and had ONLY been paid by the corporation).

I picked up the car and signed for the pick up.

My ex did not pay, the corporation and my ex both filed bankruptcy. So, my ex, while named on the judgment is out of the loop now.

This guy sued us both in small claims court (my ex never showed up for any of the hearings) despite my protestations that this court had no jurisdiction as the car was owned by a corporation in bankrutpcy. I was told that I had signed to pick up the car and in doing so had obligated myself to the costs. I said that I had no right to sign for the car repairs but did so as something routine, and I could not sign legally since I did not own it nor had I promised verbally to pay for it. On the contrary, and the owner of the repair shop was well aware of all of this and did the repairs.

He was awarded a judgment that I appealed to the small claims court and the Justice of the Peace knowing that I didn't own the car, still ruled against me.

Is this a judgment that was legal?
Can I file suit against this guy for going against the stay in bankrutpcy court?
I can't afford to pay since I am a student and am unemployed, but they are harrassing me with another suit which I think is supposed to try to make me pay. I'm really confused about the whole thing.

The car was sold at auction and my daughter bought it. Can they touch that car? She can't afford an attorney either.

Please answer as I can't afford an attorney and this is going to back to court soon. (I think to try to force payment).

Please note that the debt for the car repairs was listed by me as a priority claim in the corporate bankruptcy. I may get something on the judgment.

Thanks , in advance for your help.

J

jazzy3.0

karen3 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was sued by the owner of a car repair shop. The corporation that owned the car was also owned by my ex. He was the presidant. As a corporate perk, it was a car I used. In the interim divorce agreement, my ex's corporation was directed to continue to pay for the car repairs as it had done in the past.

Wnen the car's brakes went out and during the period when the interim comsent agreement was in force, I went to the repair shop owner and explained that I could not afford to pay the repairs, but that the court had ordered my ex's corporation to pay. He called my ex at the corporation and my ex agreed to the repairs and promised to pay. (Note that this repair owned knew that the car was a corporate owned car and had worked on it previously and had ONLY been paid by the corporation).

I picked up the car and signed for the pick up.

My ex did not pay, the corporation and my ex both filed bankruptcy. So, my ex, while named on the judgment is out of the loop now.

This guy sued us both in small claims court (my ex never showed up for any of the hearings) despite my protestations that this court had no jurisdiction as the car was owned by a corporation in bankrutpcy. I was told that I had signed to pick up the car and in doing so had obligated myself to the costs. I said that I had no right to sign for the car repairs but did so as something routine, and I could not sign legally since I did not own it nor had I promised verbally to pay for it. On the contrary, and the owner of the repair shop was well aware of all of this and did the repairs.

He was awarded a judgment that I appealed to the small claims court and the Justice of the Peace knowing that I didn't own the car, still ruled against me.

Is this a judgment that was legal?
Can I file suit against this guy for going against the stay in bankrutpcy court?
I can't afford to pay since I am a student and am unemployed, but they are harrassing me with another suit which I think is supposed to try to make me pay. I'm really confused about the whole thing.

The car was sold at auction and my daughter bought it. Can they touch that car? She can't afford an attorney either.

Please answer as I can't afford an attorney and this is going to back to court soon. (I think to try to force payment).

Please note that the debt for the car repairs was listed by me as a priority claim in the corporate bankruptcy. I may get something on the judgment.

Thanks , in advance for your help.
WOW~A lot of circumstances going on here.
From what you have said I can not see why you are being the one taken to court.
I do see a "suspicion" arising in the courts concerning your daughter buying the same vehicle that is in question here.
Have you called Legal Aid?
Received a free consultation from a lawyer in your area?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">