• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Magazine Scam Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaxxM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

Okay, I have a bit of a situation and I'm not sure what to do.

Months ago, in February, I got a call from this company, Great American Readers, who told me that I could get 5 magazine subscriptions from them for $1.05 a week for 20 months, and that I could cancel at any time. I said that sounded good to me, and proceeded to give them my information. I was transferred to another person who works there and she asked my a bunch of questions and recorded me agreeing to all the terms of the contract, but when she got to the payment part, she said it was $1.05 a day! I told her that she must be mistaken, that it was $1.05 per week, and she insisted it was per day. I said, "okay, but the other-" and then she cut me off. She recorded me saying okay like I was saying yes to the contract and transferred me.

I asked the man I was transferred to if I could cancel, and he told me I had to call back. I got off the phone and called back, and have tried numerous times since then, but it always goes to a machine and no one ever picks up. I once waited for over an hour just to see.

I checked online right after my first conversation with them, and the only things I could find about Great American Readers is that they're a rip-off and a scam. (Check the results yourself. Google) I immediately canceled the card I had given them, before they could withdraw any of my money. They didn't send me any magazines, and I wasn't too worried about it, until last month.

They started calling me, sometimes 2 times a day. They always start out pleasant, saying "We missed your monthly payment, when should we reschedule it?" When I tell them I want to cancel, they tell me I have to cal back on the customer support line, and when I tell them I'm not going to pay them, they get mad and tell me that I agreed to a legally binding contract, and that there will be severe repercussions should I fail to pay. They have yelled a few times. Now when they call, I just don't pick up the phone, and they always leave a message telling me the situation is "urgent" and that I need to call "absolutely as soon as possible".

Even all this I wasn't too concerned about except now I've received some magazines. They are not the ones I ordered, and many of them are from 6 or more months ago, but they did show up. Now I'm worried, since they sent them am I now obligated to pay them? I'm worried that this will mess up my credit, or that I'm going to be screwed on this in the end. Do I have any options, and should I be worried at all?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">