• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maine Used Car "as is" Private Party Buyer Want 2 Sue Me For Full Refund.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigfatman

I reside in Maine. In June 2009, I sold my used 1995 Nissan Pathfinder w/ 235,000 miles for $2750 w/ a receipt signed by both parties: "sold "AS IS" no warranties implied". The car had a valid Maine State Inspection from 02-2009 good until 02-2010 prior to sale adheared to the windshield. The buyer had his brother-in-law inspect (go over) and test drive the car (he gave thumbs up) prior to purchasing. The buyer drove car for about a week or two and called me to complain about rear brake noise. I was unaware of any noises and let it at that. He called me and explained he took the car to a brake shop and while investigating the brakes the shop discovered a rusted frame. I informed him of the shop that provided the valid Maine State Inspection from 02-2009 good until 02-2010. On voice mail he explained: He then drove to that shop and the shop repaired/ welded the frame and installed a newer 07-2009 Maine State Inspection Sticker. He then drove back to the brake shop and to make a long story short, the brake shop didn't like the frame repair and contacted State Patrol and State Patrol removed the newer 07-2009 valid Maine State Inspection that was on the car. Now the buyer wants his money back and if I don't return money, he wants to sue me. Does he had valid ground to sue and win?

Last edited:

JETX

Now the buyer wants his money back and if I don't return money, he wants to sue me. Does he had valid ground to sue and win?
He can sue. After all, almost anyone can sue almost anyone else claiming almost anything.

However, based solely on your post, I would say he has little, if any, chance of winning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">