• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major Dealership Lists wrong engine - Refuses to adjust price - Austin TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kahuna Cowboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello,

On 1-23-14 I purchased a lightly used truck that the dealership listed in the description, window tag, and paperwork had the larger 5.4L V8 engine. When I pulled up the autocheck with the VIN it stated a smaller 4.6L V8 engine, I asked the salesman about the discrepancy and he stated he is sure it has the 5.4L and he even verified it by the engine sticker.

So after I bought the truck that night I went to register it with the manufacture website for recall notices and again the VIN on the truck manufacture's own website said it had the smaller 4.6L. I went under the hood myself to look at the engine sticker and it to says 4.6L.

So all of the paperwork and contracts I have from the dealership state it features the 5.4L. I contacted my salesman and asked what could be done here, I'm happy to keep the truck but I expect the difference of the engine upgrade cost to be returned to me. He agreed that was a fair request and would run up to the managers.

Today 1/25/14 I got a call from the dealership manger and he told me there was no pricing error and the price was based on it being a 4.6L. I could return the truck and buy another, or accept a couple hundred bucks in service coupons.

I told him I researched on every blue book website out there and all say the pricing is inline with the 5.4L model and is about $1000 - $1500 more than it should be for the 4.6L model. Even their own website had a exact match to my truck in New Mexico, minus the two tone paint for $2000 less. Same year, miles, package and features. At that point he said "I will look into this further and if anything else can be done I'll be back in touch."

I tried to be reasonable here, I was not looking to bend anyone over a barrel. I just wanted the difference in what I paid for and didn't receive back. I have it in writing on all the sales paperwork that this is 5.4L truck.

What options do I have here? Should I contact the Texas Attorney General's office and file a complaint? Is pressing a lawsuit and speaking to a lawyer even worth it? I've never wanted to take anyone to court but I am very upset at the response I received and the manger's unwillingness to make this right.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Return the truck and go elsewhere. Frankly, if you're doing that they might just come up with something more than just service coupons in compensation to lee you.

swalsh411

You're being offered the opportunity to return the truck for a refund. That is a perfectly fair and reasonable resolution to the issue.

Kahuna Cowboy

The only problem with that is my trade in I cannot get back so essentially that leaves me stuck out for a vehicle. My credit is so so, that means I could very easily find myself in a worse situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">