• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marina Membership Gone Sour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

A couple of years ago the Marina we use went members only, so we paid an initiation fee of $500 and have been paying $30 a month in dues. The Marina went up for sale a few months ago and we got a letter from management telling us it was for sale and that either the new owners would accept the old members or we would get our money back. I don't keep much of the paper work, but I am sure others have copies of the letter and I do have canceled checks. I don't recall ever getting a membership contract, but I do have old emails with their promises.

Well the sale went through a few weeks ago and the new owner says he has no interest in maintaining our memberships and the old owner is not communicating with anyone. I know it's not a huge lot of money for any one of us, but I know several hundred people paid for memberships and are now out a total of a lot of money, probably more than 100k total.

Who do we have recourse against, the new owner has a lot more money and is easier to find, but the old owner is not destitute and did not declare bankruptcy and is still in town. Any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">