• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This match is NOT made in heaven or anywhere else!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

A few weeks ago I hired a local, reputable contractor to redo the gables and trim on a second house we own with cedar clapboard siding. He started earlier than expected and within a week had 85% of the job finished was when he ran out of materials. It took about a week to get restarted. Today when I drove by to check the progress, I found the job completed but the new lot of siding he ordered and installed does not match the 85%! It is cedar siding and is much lighter and with many more knots in it. The difference is clearly noticeable from quite a distance away. He had been paid 60% upfront but there is still a balance remaining. I have no problem paying the remainder but what do I do about the obvious difference in materials. I really want it matched. Can I withhold final payment until it is corrected or what other options do I have ?????.

I plan on speaking with him on Monday but want to know my options before I do.

Shelby

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

A few weeks ago I hired a local, reputable contractor to redo the gables and trim on a second house we own with cedar clapboard siding. He started earlier than expected and within a week had 85% of the job finished was when he ran out of materials. It took about a week to get restarted. Today when I drove by to check the progress, I found the job completed but the new lot of siding he ordered and installed does not match the 85%! It is cedar siding and is much lighter and with many more knots in it. The difference is clearly noticeable from quite a distance away. He had been paid 60% upfront but there is still a balance remaining. I have no problem paying the remainder but what do I do about the obvious difference in materials. I really want it matched. Can I withhold final payment until it is corrected or what other options do I have ?????.

I plan on speaking with him on Monday but want to know my options before I do.

Shelby
You didn't trouble yourself to "match" the new material before it was installed?

Please explain why "you have no trouble paying the remainder" when the project was not completed to your satisfaction?

Do you have anything signed by the contractor specifying that the new material is to be correspond with the old?

Is it possible that difference in shade/hue is due to the weathering of the older cedar?

Are you certain that it is cedar that has been installed? I can't recall seeing any with knots.

Anyway, whether or not there was any pre-installation specs involved, there would be an implied agreement that the material should match as reasonably close as possible.

But it is very unlikely that this guy is going to voluntarily remove and replace.

What I would have you do before confronting him is to check with local suppliers to see if there is suitable material available and its cost. He may just have been cutting corners. And if so that would help you should it come to a show down in court, which it probably will.

And if so, you need to get a bid to redo the work.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">