• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Material not received, but is paid for

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gerste

We wrote a cheque for 2147.00, to a company for materials, there were partners in this company, one being my brother. My brother's end of it went under, but his partner is still carrying on, and using my bothers company name. To get to the point our 2147.00 chq was cashed 4 months ago, and we still have not got our siding, the partner is saying that my brother owes him money, and when he comes up with that money, we can get our material. Do we have any legal ground to stand on to come back at this guy to get our materials?

L

loku

Partner's liability

Yes you do. all partners are liable jointly and severally for all obligations of the partnership. That means you can sue any or all partners for obligations of the partnership. If you do sue the other partner and win, then he could sue your brother for his share of it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

. . . and just a little bit more to Loku's fine response - - you see, what the one partner is doing to you is taking an unwarranted "set-off". He's mistaken in the belief that he has a right to a set-off through the sheer coincidence that your brother happens to be his former partner; that because you're "family" to his partner, that your brother's debts are "fungible" through you - - and so, he's taking your money as payment for what your brother owes to him.

This is "pretzel" logic, is fundamentally incorrect, and a judge would have a "field day" with this guy !

In summary, you are not responsible for your brother's debts - - but, the partner is "making" you responsible.

Take him to court.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">