• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic damaged my car during repair - how to get them to repair their damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ok computer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in Upstate NY. I brought my car to my local Monroe Brake & Muffler, the same repair shop that I have gone to for the past 7 years with no problems.

I brought my car in to be repaired. A week later, I still hadn't heard from them. I call them and they check out my car right away and tell me what needs to be repaired. I discuss the repairs and authorize what needs to be fixed. The next day (a Saturday) the car is ready and I go to pick it up.

I paid by check, signed the receipt without being shown any old parts (as they did in the past) or seeing my car. I drive off the lot and notice immediately that my windshield is newly cracked in two places. I go right back to the shop and speak to the manager, who confirms that the cracks were not weather related and tells me to come back on Monday so that he can speak to the mechanic who repaired my car. I asked to begin the paperwork process so that I could declare in writing that my windshield was not in the same shape that I had left it in. The manager writes on his business card that the window is cracked, and that's it.

I go home to further inspect the repairs and to take pictures. I notice that other things other the hood had been tampered with (broken plastic, bolts missing.) They also tried to cover up that they broke the windshield, evident by the cracked plastic, uneven weather stripping, and indentation in the seal where a flat screwdriver had been pried where the cracks begin. They did the repairs (about $600 worth) that they were supposed to do with new parts, but I'm concerned about this windshield.

My father-in-law, a mechanic, inspects the car and confirms my findings. I called the bank and canceled the check - so it will bounce (they'll cash it on Monday, they won't know it bounced for a couple of days.) I'm hoping that they are cordial, repair what they broke without a fight, I give them their payment and leave without ever going back. But I'm getting the feeling that it's not going to be that easy.

My downside is that I had no pictures of the car and parts before I brought the car in. Their downside is that the manager neglected to initial the part that declares that the car had been inspected and the mechanic's work was deemed satisfactory. My signature represents only that I paid and recognize that their warranty on the repair is void if I service the car anywhere else.

What legal rights do I have in this matter if I do have to take this to the next level? I've yet to contact the Better Business Bureau but that would certainly be on my list. Other than that, I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks a lot in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
IMO, you REALLY screwed up by stopping payment on the check. You haven't even given them the opportunity to fix the windshield...

justalayman

you broke the law when you cancelled the check. Plan on a visit with the local police if you do not make good on the check at first request.

the rest can be hashed out later, including court if need be.

JustAPal00

Putting a stop payment on the check was illegal. I would go down first thing Monday and tell them you did it because you thought they were going to reduce your bill. Tell them you will write them a new check for the bill minus damages. If they say no you better write them a new check!

ok computer

Thanks for the help, folks!

At the time of the post, I hadn't actually called the bank - it was first on my list for this morning. Taking your advice, I did not call and cancel the check.

The repair shop called with an appointment to fix the window for free and to evaluate the other damages to the car. Worked out easier than I thought.

Again, thank you all for the advice! Without it, I would have canceled the check and would have probably been in a worse situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the help, folks!

At the time of the post, I hadn't actually called the bank - it was first on my list for this morning. Taking your advice, I did not call and cancel the check.

The repair shop called with an appointment to fix the window for free and to evaluate the other damages to the car. Worked out easier than I thought.

Again, thank you all for the advice! Without it, I would have canceled the check and would have probably been in a worse situation.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in Upstate NY. I brought my car to my local Monroe Brake & Muffler, the same repair shop that I have gone to for the past 7 years with no problems.

I brought my car in to be repaired. A week later, I still hadn't heard from them. I call them and they check out my car right away and tell me what needs to be repaired. I discuss the repairs and authorize what needs to be fixed. The next day (a Saturday) the car is ready and I go to pick it up.

I paid by check, signed the receipt without being shown any old parts (as they did in the past) or seeing my car. I drive off the lot and notice immediately that my windshield is newly cracked in two places. I go right back to the shop and speak to the manager, who confirms that the cracks were not weather related and tells me to come back on Monday so that he can speak to the mechanic who repaired my car. I asked to begin the paperwork process so that I could declare in writing that my windshield was not in the same shape that I had left it in. The manager writes on his business card that the window is cracked, and that's it.

I go home to further inspect the repairs and to take pictures. I notice that other things other the hood had been tampered with (broken plastic, bolts missing.) They also tried to cover up that they broke the windshield, evident by the cracked plastic, uneven weather stripping, and indentation in the seal where a flat screwdriver had been pried where the cracks begin. They did the repairs (about $600 worth) that they were supposed to do with new parts, but I'm concerned about this windshield.

My father-in-law, a mechanic, inspects the car and confirms my findings. I called the bank and canceled the check - so it will bounce (they'll cash it on Monday, they won't know it bounced for a couple of days.) I'm hoping that they are cordial, repair what they broke without a fight, I give them their payment and leave without ever going back. But I'm getting the feeling that it's not going to be that easy.

My downside is that I had no pictures of the car and parts before I brought the car in. Their downside is that the manager neglected to initial the part that declares that the car had been inspected and the mechanic's work was deemed satisfactory. My signature represents only that I paid and recognize that their warranty on the repair is void if I service the car anywhere else.

What legal rights do I have in this matter if I do have to take this to the next level? I've yet to contact the Better Business Bureau but that would certainly be on my list. Other than that, I have no idea what to do. Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks a lot in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It really irks me when OP's come here and straight-out lie. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">