• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic Disabled Car and Won't Pay for Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BinDiesel

State of Auto Shop: Delaware

I have a few questions about how I should proceed in a claim. What am I supposed to do about this. Here is a brief history of events:

Thursday, June 9th: Took car in to get checked out for a power steering leak. Was told a line was leaking and part could be obtained. Part was obtained and made an appointment for Friday to have my car fixed. Drove my car to Baltimore in two and half hours of traffic and back showing my car drove fine. Have proof I was in Baltimore.

Friday, June 10th: Took car in for scheduled appointment. Was told when I took it in that the part did not look like it was the right part and that they would need to check first. I said just let me know and give me a call if I needed a different part. Called around 1030 am, told car would be ready by end of day. Get call around 130, ran into a little 'snag.' They cut the orginal leaking hose off my car so that they couldn't put it back on before realizing it wasn't the right part. Said they could get part by saturday morning. Not to mention they drove my car to another shop without my knowing.

Saturday, June 11th: Call around 1100 in the morning, am told they can't get the part. Car is undriveable cause power steering fluid runs the fan and car will overheat if I drive it. Say will find out about part on monday. I rent a car for the weekend.

Monday, June 13th: Call and am told that they will not know about the part until the 23rd of June. I am forced to rent a car for the whole week to get back and forth to work. I do everything I can to find the new part and can't. I take the rental car back saturday the 18th and it is 226 bucks.

Monday, June 20th:
Get a call out of the blue that they got the part and car is fixed. I go to speak to manager to ask about paying for rental. He refuses. Says if I take him to court I will pay his lawyer fees. Also find out that they broke into my trunk to get a tool out which is pretty sketchy to me that they wouldn't call me. End up paying 256 for the parts and labor.

Summary:
Had they told me in the first place that the part would not be in till Monday the 20th and asked me if they could disable my car I would have said no and waited since car was perfectly driveable. What am I supposed to do next? Do I have a valid claim at this. I also lost time at work running around for the part but I am more worried about reclaiming my rental car money. Also I have the part they cut to show how they cut it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">