• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic Ordered Part w/out Consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fongp

California - I brought my motorcycle into a motorcycle shop's service department. After finding the problem, they sent me a quote with a list of parts they had to order. The parts had to be ordered from Italy, so I asked if I could procure them myself to save money. They agreed (I found out later the shop normally does not do this, but they agreed nonetheless). I bought and gave them the expensive parts, and told them just to order the remaining cheap parts.

A few months later, they told me the job is finished. I took a look at the bill, and it turned out they charged me for the most expensive part. After some discussion, it turned out I had procured half the part. That part was actually 2 parts. They ordered the part without my consent, and now I am forced to pay for it.

Can I demand that they remove it and install a part I will get myself, and demand that they cover the extra labor costs? If not, what can I do?

Thank you by the way, I'm a starving graduate student.

justalayman

au contraire` but you did giver permission to order the part:

I bought and gave them the expensive parts, and told them just to order the remaining cheap parts.
Cheap is a relative term so they had no idea if you considered the part they had to purchase was cheap in your terms or not. You bought the parts you wanted to and gave them to the repair shop and told them to order the parts to finish it. They did that.

Can I demand that they remove it and install a part I will get myself,
sure/ ask what they will charge you to do this before you tell them to do it though. Wouldn't want any suprises.

and demand that they cover the extra labor costs?
Not a chance

If not, what can I do?
realize that they gave you the opportunity to save yourself a couple buck and you screwed it up. Time to move on and be more specific next time you do anything such as this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">