• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic Storage Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HooperW3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I put my car in the shop to get body work done and they were finished on a Friday. I was out of town and explained that I could not get it until te next Tuesday, the secretary told me they would be closed until the folowing week and to call them then. I called them yesterday and she informed me they had charged me an extra $250 for storage fees even when they were on vacation and that because of th eeconomy the paint for my car was more expensive and was an extra $100..is this legal? I have nothing in writing saying there would be storage fees, even though thatis the normal practice but can they charge for days they chose to close?

Last edited:

BL

Go ahead and pay it and retrieve your vehicle , or you'll get hammed with addition fees .

Then file a complaint with your local Office Of Attorney General Consumer Affairs Dept. for the storage fees and the extra paint cost .

Although Storage means storage - same thing if you stored it in someone's barn - they don't have to be home .

And an estimate is just that - an estimate - not actual final cost .

Your ball ..

ecmst12

It is typical for a customer who leaves their completed car at a body shop for more then a couple of days to be charged storage for the additional days. Perhaps if you are nice to them, they will knock some off since they were closed for part of that time. Be very nice. If the paint for your car cost more then they originally estimated, it is legal and appropriate to pass that cost onto you. Don't complain about that charge at all, won't do you any good.

Body shops are all hurting right now; cosmetic work is one of the things that gets pushed WAY to the bottom of peoples' priority lists when money gets tight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">