• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanics Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beth6845

What is the name of your state? California

I entered into a contract with a contractor on 7-14-03. They were supposed to paint and prime my entire unit. The job was left unfinished on 7-16-03. The work is shoddy, bad and just downright sloppy. However, I paid him more than 30% down payment and agreed to pay him the balance upon completion. Now there is a dispute going on and I have very bad feelings for this person. He refuses to acknowledge that he did damage to my property and refuses to inspect the work that his workers did. It is a nightmare for me. Yesterday I got a Preliminary 20 day lien notice that if I did not pay the balance that I would have a lien put on my property. The question is, since the the work began on 7-14-03 and he signed a pink preliminary lien notice on 8-14-03, does he have any rights in filing a Mechanics Lien on my property since there's more than 20 days since the work first began. I am willing to pay him the balance which is $1675, just to have him not put a lien on my property---I cannot let that happen. So---Would it be to my advantage to pay him the balance. He is also saying that if I don't pay him he is going to charge me an extra $1000.00 for extra work, which he did not do. I know that I can report him, however, time frames with the lien notice and trying not to go crazy over this is preventing me from doing this. I still don't know if he actually filed the preliminary 20 day lien notice in court. I only got a copy in the mail by certified mail. I did not sign for it and I don't know who did. I hope I covered everything. Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">