• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Laws for Auto Dealers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmarion8805

I purchased a car the end of November and I have yet to make a payment because they can't explain to me why I am paying 22,000 for a car that was priced at 10900. Yes I signed the paperwork but could someone tell me what is the highest interest that a dealer can charge you in Michigan? And is there any way I can get out of the contract? Please!!!

If you provide the following data, I can tell you if the total of payments is correct or not:

1. What was the agreed upon sale price?
  2. Did you have a trade-in?
  3. What was the agreed upon trade allowance?
  4. What was the payoff on the trade-in?
  5. How much cash did you put down?
  6. Did you purchase the optional coverages (service contract, prepaid maintenance, insurance, etc.)?
  7. What are the charges for these items?
  8. What it the APR on the contract?
  9. What is the length of the contract?

JETX

I purchased a car the end of November and I have yet to make a payment because they can't explain to me why I am paying 22,000 for a car that was priced at 10900. Yes I signed the paperwork but could someone tell me what is the highest interest that a dealer can charge you in Michigan? And is there any way I can get out of the contract? Please!!!
Ignore 'Tim'.... since if you could answer his long range questions.... you wouldn't be here, would you??

The general usury limit in Michigan has been set at 7%. In other words, if the interest rate on a personal loan in Michigan exceeds the 7% rate, that loan is considered to be in violation of the law. It is considered to be an illegal contract and hence is unenforceable.
Those statutes that govern usury and usurious lending practices in Michigan can be found codified at Michigan Compiled Laws Sections 438 and 439.
For a table of specific loans allowed in Michigan, go to: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ceilings_24956_7.pdf

However, the interest in Michigan may not be the relevant standard. You will have to read the agreement you signed and see EXACTLY what state is applicable.
If the $22k is the total amount you will be paying throughout the full term, it is likely that it includes interest and other fees. Depending on the length of payments and the interest rate, the TOTAL obligation can easily double the purchase price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">