• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Earla Williams

my 16 year old son went to a local indiana licensed car dealer without my knowledge or consent to purchase a car. he gave the dealer $200 drove the car and brought it back in an hour, after deciding he did not want to purchase this car. the dealer asked him how much of the $200 he wanted back and my son said $100. when he came home and told me what had happened, i called the dealer and requested the money which we have not recieved. i filed a small claims suit against this dealer for the $100 which he did not return. will we lose this case? After I filed this in small claims court, this dealer counter sued us. It is my understanding that a minor can not enter into any contract or be held to a contract without parental consent. Am I correct? Thanks.

[Edited by Earla Williams on 06-06-2001 at 01:54 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes.

Since you edited your post, now I have to change my answer from "No" to "Yes".

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-06-2001 at 07:19 PM]

E

Earla Williams

Minor Laws

Today, we were served amended counter claim papers from the car dealer for a total of $3000.00! He lists on his statement of claim that "reneged on a vehicle trade causing lost sale and lost income. Reneging on a vehicle sale. Suing for something they caused themselves. Making a false complaint about me to the Better Business Bureau, possibly causing damage to my business reputation." I did file a complaint with the BBB which I thought was any consumer's right. I am sure this made him angrier. Once again, will he win this case against my minor son? Do I need to get a lawyer at this point? Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Earla, he's grasping at straws. Sure, he can file a countersuit against you and / or the kid. It doesn't mean he'll win, though.

The guy is obviously an idiot. Why? For two reasons:

1. He never came to these Boards like you have.

2. If he had read this site, like your going to read, http://www.lamission.cc.ca.us/law/bus1su99/chp15out.htm
he would have realized he has no leg to stand on.

Like I said Earla, he's an idiot, and a fool. Obviously, he never spoke to an attorney.

When you and your kid get into court, just have your child say to the judge, "Your Honor, I wish to rescind the contract right now, and I want my money back."

End of story, there's no defense to that, and the idiot car dealer loses. After you and your child win, give him the "finger".

You are now EMPOWERED !

Go get him !

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-12-2001 at 11:56 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">