• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors And Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qsaghar

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

Im a licensed car dealer in Florida...I sold a 1995 Camaro to a lady and her 16-year old son about a year ago "as-is" with no warranties. She recently returned and said she wanted to return the car on the grounds that since we had titled and licensed the car under her son's name (at her request) the contract was void since he was a minor at the time of the sale. Although she did'nt sign any paperwork, she filled out all the forms in her own handwriting, instructed her son to sign them, paid for the car herself and requested a lien be placed on the car in her favor since she was loaning him the money. Her son entered into the agreement with her obviously implied consent. However, she is a paralegal herself and has already moved for a hearing and final judgement to rescind the contract and refund the money. Should I go to court and explain the situation to the judge or is a lawyer necessary? I have copies of all the paperwork including the "as-is" statement and bill of sale completed by the mother in her own handwriting. There are no DMV laws or regulations permiting the transfer of ownership of motor vehicles to minors.

C

cur7is

Okay, number one, NEVER have a minor sign anything unless their parent's signature is right near to back it up! That is a must EVERYWHERE because this kind of stuff will happen.

As far as going to court goes, bring what you have with you, tell them the situation, and if the judge is fair, they'll take your side. However, you may not have a choice being the you didn't get the mother to sign anything. Her handwriting makes it obvious that she was there at the time of the sale and consenting to it, so you MIGHT have a chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">