• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misled by wedding reception site.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maryland454

What is the name of your state? Maryland

In February 2002, I signed a contract to hold my wedding reception on June 7, 2003, at a specific ballroom in a hotel. In April 2003, the hotel called me and told me that they needed to move our reception to a different ballroom because the one we originally signed the contract for had been damaged by melting snow during the Feb. 16, 2003, snowstorm.

I visited the reception site yesterday-- only to discover it is undergoing a MAJOR construction/renovation project. The entire outside of the hotel is torn up, there are dumpsters everywhere including right in front of our ballroom, and our wedding reception is in 3 weeks. This construction is occuring to the area directly outside our ballroom, and next week, the ballroom itself is scheduled for new paint, carpeting, etc.

We were never told of this multi-million dollar project. If we had known about it, we would not have signed a contract with this hotel. The scheduled completion date for the construction is June 10 and our wedding is June 7. We have to pay them the amount due for the reception (approx. $10,000) next week-- before we will know if the construction will be done or not. I can tell you that it looks like there is no way they could complete the project in three weeks. In addition, because of the construction, the guests will have to walk up a long flight of steps to get to our ballroom-- and we have several elderly guests who will find that difficult.

What-- if any-- legal recourse do I have? I feel they have taken advantage of us. Even more annoying, the original ballroom where we were supposed to have the reception appears to have NO damage to it, as we were told. They are using it for storage and are also renovating it. Clearly, if there was a structural problem with the roof (as they told me in April), they would have repaired the ceiling by now-- or at least would not be storing all of their valuable chairs, grand piano, etc. in that room.

I just have the feeling that they planned this project a long time ago, moved us into the second ballrroom to accommodate the construction schedule, lied to us about why they moved our reception, and now, they have this major construction project that is going to significantly detract from the appearance of the hotel.

HomeGuru

Maryland454 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

In February 2002, I signed a contract to hold my wedding reception on June 7, 2003, at a specific ballroom in a hotel. In April 2003, the hotel called me and told me that they needed to move our reception to a different ballroom because the one we originally signed the contract for had been damaged by melting snow during the Feb. 16, 2003, snowstorm.

I visited the reception site yesterday-- only to discover it is undergoing a MAJOR construction/renovation project. The entire outside of the hotel is torn up, there are dumpsters everywhere including right in front of our ballroom, and our wedding reception is in 3 weeks. This construction is occuring to the area directly outside our ballroom, and next week, the ballroom itself is scheduled for new paint, carpeting, etc.

We were never told of this multi-million dollar project. If we had known about it, we would not have signed a contract with this hotel. The scheduled completion date for the construction is June 10 and our wedding is June 7. We have to pay them the amount due for the reception (approx. $10,000) next week-- before we will know if the construction will be done or not. I can tell you that it looks like there is no way they could complete the project in three weeks. In addition, because of the construction, the guests will have to walk up a long flight of steps to get to our ballroom-- and we have several elderly guests who will find that difficult.

What-- if any-- legal recourse do I have? I feel they have taken advantage of us. Even more annoying, the original ballroom where we were supposed to have the reception appears to have NO damage to it, as we were told. They are using it for storage and are also renovating it. Clearly, if there was a structural problem with the roof (as they told me in April), they would have repaired the ceiling by now-- or at least would not be storing all of their valuable chairs, grand piano, etc. in that room.

I just have the feeling that they planned this project a long time ago, moved us into the second ballrroom to accommodate the construction schedule, lied to us about why they moved our reception, and now, they have this major construction project that is going to significantly detract from the appearance of the hotel.
**A: sound like you're right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">