• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mitsubishi dealership refusing to register my car until I pay them an additional $400

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johntallen2

I live in Louisiana and bought a car in Florida.

March 18, 2016 I purchased a new 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage from UXX yXX for $9,447.99. My local sales tax (State, County) and city = 10.250% making the taxes due of $968.41. They charged me $992.82, $24.41 too much. Now they are telling me they will not register the car until I pay them an additional $400. When I asked them for a breakdown of what they wanted they just replied "That's what YOUR local government charges and you owe it."

The series of events: On March 17, 2016 I spoke with a woman at UXX yXX on the phone to confirm the price of a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage that I found advertised at their website for $8,998. She confirmed that it was, but with fees including but not limited to dealer prep, Louisiana title & license the final price would be $9,997. However, she did not know my tax rate and said that could be determined at the dealership when I came in to purchase the vehicle. I agreed to the terms and flew in the next day to pick the car up and drive it back to Louisiana. Below is what I was charged for the car:
-$10,447.81 (This includes $999,82 of taxes) + $561 in "other charges" including Tag & License Fee = $11,008
-This would make the actual sales price of the car $9,447.99 ($449) more than I agreed to pay.
-$999.82 in taxes which in reality I only owed $968.41

I Drove the car back to Louisiana that afternoon (March 18). On April 9, I received an email from my salesman notifying me of the following: "I just heard from our accounting office, The DMV of Louisiana is charging you an additional $400 of Local taxes. You will need to pay for this ASAP to complete tagwork. Please contact "Anonymous", she has all the details. I called her and had to leave a voicemail. She returned the call 17 days later telling me that I owed them $400 more or they won't register the vehicle. Her reasoning was our state charges more than Florida and they did not charge me enough when I bought the car on March 18th, when in fact they overcharged me. When I Aasked her for an itemization of the entire transaction she told me that she can't do that, I would have to speak with the finance manager. She transferred me to him, I got voicemail, and as I am writing this I have not heard back from him yet. Meanwhile my temporary tag expired and the salesman was kind enough to send me another one for 30 days.

What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

tranquility

Taxes, especially sales taxes are complex. ALL the facts would need to be known. If under ANY theory of taxes you owe the amount, you will have no damages.

What do you feel your damages are?

Last edited by a moderator:

johntallen2

I have already paid $996 in taxes for a 10,000 dollar car. The damages are that they aren't registering the car in my name, and can't provide any itemization of the $400 that I owe. They just say I do over the phone.

tranquility

I have already paid $996 in taxes for a 10,000 dollar car. The damages are that they aren't registering the car in my name, and can't provide any itemization of the $400 that I owe. They just say I do over the phone.
Would you owe the $400 under any theory of the law?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Go in person, first thing in the morning on a business day, with $400 in hand...cash would be nice. Walk in and wave the cash in front of the finance manager. Explain that you would be more than happy to hand them every single penny they are asking for just as soon as they can show some sort of itemization that it is owed. Pull up a chair and sit in front of the finance manager's desk until they get so annoyed that they either show you the proof, or kick you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">