• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modeling contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frustratedOH

What is the name of your state? OH

My wife signed up my 3 daughters for modeling contracts. After about 4 years and $2700 in fees& pictures we want out. Problem is there are automatic renewal clauses if they are not notified 90 days in advance and they renew for like terms of 3 years, we missed that date. We went several months without paying and now the agenct wants to turn us in for collection over the annula fee ($169 each). After 13 months they all of a sudden want to inforce the contract when we thought they just went away. We do not want to send them any more money. Should also be noted that there were at least 3 jobs my daughter did for them and were not paid. Can they turn this into the credit bureau or do they have to sue us for the annual fees. The agency has a bad reputation in town already and is hurting for money. This appears to be a standard SAG contract.

Thanks in advance

skyy

I know this is about two months later than you wanted a reply. I don't visit this forum often. I'm not familiar with the type of contract you signed. I used to be an office manager for a modeling and talent agency plus model/actress. Many agencies have contracts, but I don't see many small agencies with contracts that last more than one year, especially if it's exclusive. You shouldn't have to pay to register or renew a contract. Classes are something altogether different. You can opt to pay for classes which is often how small agencies pay bills while obtaining jobs.

SAG stands for Screen Actor's Guild and applies to those actors who are members. They are a union for serious workers. It sounds like another case of an agency trying to get over on people with high dreams. I would check to see if they are licensed and FRANCHISED to do business. Ohio isn't exactly the model central for the US or even considered an area for commercial modeling (models who look like everyday people) like Miami or Chicago. Also, look into the courthouse to see if other people have filed suit against them. Companies who have good BBB standings can still have a pile of suits against them because they've not been reported to the BBB or the company hasn't been updated. The lapse in time allows them time to run scams and take people's money. It sounds like this agency is in for some major problems. I don't know that the contract states, but look around the area to see what types of contracts are typical. They may have crossed the line and be trying to enforce a contract that is illegal/unethical. There should be some law that sets boundaries as to what types of contracts are allowed by these agencies. I would start with the FTC.

P.S. - a typical small agency contract may ask for a year (I wouldn't sign exclusively) and automatically renew unless you cancel and may include a review every so often to evaluate how they are promoting your daughters. The agent takes an average of 20% profit. There is no fee involved for joining, signing, belonging to the agency, referral, or renewal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">