• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EAV3904

I am a college student in Texas. My former roommate (and now former best friend) got into a money jam and was going to be evicted from her apartment. Not wanting to see her be evicted, and after hearing how her parents would not help her out, I offered to loan her the rent money for one month (as I have my own bills to pay), and we verbally agreed that she would pay me back within that one month (by August 26, 2001). Since then, there have been more small expenses that I have covered her on, all the while thinking that I would be paid back quickly. I called her a week ago to remind her that I needed at least half of $500 by the 26th of August, and she said she would have the money for me. Yesterday she said that she couldn't get it, and while I explained that by helping her out, i was ruining my own credit rating since she won't pay me back. According to Texas law, can I take her to small claims court to recover the $500 she owes me?

Elizabeth A. Voit

wtd

Sure. It'll just be your word against hers, however, unless you have a witness/s or she admits it in court, I think.

You may wish to try to get your friend to agree in writing that she owes you the money and when it is/was to be repaid prior to filing your claim. Also don't forget to include the other amounts you indicated in your post.

Also, if you've not yet learned to not loan this person money, you should get any further loans documented up front with amount loaned and a specified repayment date or time frame.

You may also wish to ponder the likelihood of collecting a judgement should you prevail.

Just an observation (assuming she did not get into this money bind through some extraordinary event - medical emergency, etc) -
For all practical purposes, these are not loans - since you have extended additional "loans" after the first one and before the first loan is repaid, you are ultimately supplying incremental cash infusions so that your friend meet the costs of daily living. If she can't meet these basic costs without your regular help, on her current income, she will probably never have enough left over to ever pay you back. This may be the reason that her parents wouldn't help out.

Good luck with your claim,
wtd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">