• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motel Responsibility for Burglary & Assualt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chefdavid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My friend and I were staying at a motel in San Francisco. We were accosted outside our room and the criminal forced his way in and attempted to rob us. He was arrested, we witnessed at a jury trial, and he was found guilty and sentenced. We sustained minor injury which we did not seek treatment for and are healed from. The motel was sorry and gave us a 10% discount!

We contacted the motel owners who acknowledged some responsibility for the incident but felt that $5000 ( divided by the two of us) in damages was unaffordable and excessive. Should we pursue this further?? We are actually concerned with all the trips we had to make back and forth from court ( We live in Sacramento) and the mental distress the entire incident caused. We are even more concerned with the unsuspecting families and travelers that may experience this in the future at this location on Market street. We discovered at the trial that this hotel is notorious for illicit sexual behavior and when we stayed there there were foreign travelers and families. We had NO idea and believe something should be done. Suggestions??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

why would the hotel owe you anything? In what way did their negligence cause or allow you to be robbed and assaulted?

JETX

I agree. There is NOTHING in your post to even suggest that the property is liable for your claim.
Crime happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">