• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother co signed for car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j_mandare

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Hello Im a College Student and I am seeking legal advice for my mother.
My mom was approached by our neighbor's daugter to borrow a thousand dollars cash and my mom first saying no later on lend her the money. Later on my mother was approached again by the neighbors daughter to co sign for a car and my mother reapatdly said no. Then one day the the neighbors daughter and her husband came to my moms house with the dealer to get her to co sign for a 25 thousand dollar car they lied to my mother in her telling her it was a reference signing not a co signing my mother feltpressured. she said no alot of times but she ended up signing anyways, My brother and I were not there at this time we both live in an apartment near the university we study at, but my sister was there who is going to high school. Me and my brother usally make these kinds of decisions for her and we would have never have let her done this. My mother was also on anti depressants at the time and she still is. The neigbors daughter after getting the car moved to the state of Washington with her husbands family. After 7 or 8 months they stopped paying the bills and now finally the loan people have sold the car and there is a 16,266.73 deficiency on the account and they want my mother to pay. My mother only makes 1,000 dollars a month and she is making payments for two cars, one of the cars are for me and my brother and the other one is for her to take to work.. She also has a low income house. I am afraid that my mother might get more depressed after this event.
So I was wondering what her options are there is no way she can afford the 16 thousand dollars. If there are no options whats the worst they can do to the cars and the low income house she is making payments too.
Thank you for your time to read this post

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Hello Im a College Student and I am seeking legal advice for my mother.
My mom was approached by our neighbor's daugter to borrow a thousand dollars cash and my mom first saying no later on lend her the money. Later on my mother was approached again by the neighbors daughter to co sign for a car and my mother reapatdly said no. Then one day the the neighbors daughter and her husband came to my moms house with the dealer to get her to co sign for a 25 thousand dollar car they lied to my mother in her telling her it was a reference signing not a co signing my mother feltpressured. she said no alot of times but she ended up signing anyways, My brother and I were not there at this time we both live in an apartment near the university we study at, but my sister was there who is going to high school. Me and my brother usally make these kinds of decisions for her and we would have never have let her done this. My mother was also on anti depressants at the time and she still is. The neigbors daughter after getting the car moved to the state of Washington with her husbands family. After 7 or 8 months they stopped paying the bills and now finally the loan people have sold the car and there is a 16,266.73 deficiency on the account and they want my mother to pay. My mother only makes 1,000 dollars a month and she is making payments for two cars, one of the cars are for me and my brother and the other one is for her to take to work.. She also has a low income house. I am afraid that my mother might get more depressed after this event.
So I was wondering what her options are there is no way she can afford the 16 thousand dollars. If there are no options whats the worst they can do to the cars and the low income house she is making payments too.
Thank you for your time to read this post
Looks like it's time for her to stop paying for your car and start paying on the debt she has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">