• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle consignment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecapt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I placed my motorcycle on consignment with a dealership two months ago. We have no written contract. I told them what my min price is and they said they would keep whatever it's sold for above my min price. I said that was ok. I asked them if I wanted to pick it up would it be a problem? They said I could pick it up whenever I wanted. Long story short, they have not sold it, it's not even listed correctly i.e. the year. I have found a buyer that wants to buy if from me and informed them today that I will be picking it up either tomorrow or Monday. They came up with some BS that I owe them money for listing it and trying to sell it. I informed them that we have no written contract and was not informed of any of this.
Can they come up with BS charges and hold the bike without a written or verbal contract? If they wont release it, can I call the police and inform them they are holding my bike hostage without just cause? Thanks for your help.

You might have an action for conversion if they hold the bike. Lawyers love those cases. So if they give you problems, call an attorney.

Conversion - Intentional act to exercise ‘substantial dominion’ over the property of another.

Intentional deprivation of property from the rightful owner is sufficient to demonstrate “dominion or control.”

A "cause of action" is legal talk for a lawsuit. Conversion is a type of claim you make, like suing someone for battery.

If they don't give you your property, go see a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">