• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motorcycle knocking after valve adjustment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zr7tn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I took my motorcycle to a bike shop to have the valves adjusted,when i picked picked it up the motor was knocking bad.he told me they had to change the oil. it had gas in it.it was not knocking when i droped it off. he told me the only thing they did was adjust the valves and change the oil.i dont know what to do. please help.

swalsh411

Go to any auto-parts or hardware store and buy an anti-knock agent. It's not expensive. Follow the directions for your gas tank size. If it's still knocking after it's run for a while then take it back to the shop.

Andy0192

Why did you have the valves serviced? Was it routine maintenance? or did you have some other existing problem? Have you ever experienced trouble with having gas drain into the engine oil before?

You should probably seek out the advice of an independent 3rd party mechanic.

If all they did was adjust the valves, it's kind of hard to create an engine knock by doing that. The sentence about having gas in the oil makes me wonder if there was some other problem or pre-existing condition that caused a bearing problem or some type of galling internally in the engine.

Anti-knock engine oil treatments might quiet a noisy valve train, but they do nothing worthwhile if you truly have an internal engine problem.

What kind of motorcycle is this? How old is it? Mileage?

swalsh411

I know it won't fix a major issue but sometimes it works especially with smaller engines. It may have just gotten a bad tank of gas.

CraigFL

We also need to understand what you are calling "knocking". Some here suggest it is an octane problem that cause preignition which sounds like a knock. It could be caused by bad gas or even by fixing leaky valves. If it is a lower end knock cause by the big end bearing going bad(gas in the oil could do it) then it is more serious.

You should have a third party look at it but it would be interesting what the opinion of the shop you took it to is...

racer72

Go to any auto-parts or hardware store and buy an anti-knock agent. It's not expensive. Follow the directions for your gas tank size. If it's still knocking after it's run for a while then take it back to the shop.
NO NO NO NO NO NO. Do not do this. There is a huge difference between an an engine knock in a car engine and a motorcycle engine. Cars use ignition timing to set the optimal engine running conditions, motorcycles do not. Motorcycles use magnetos to fire spark plugs, not a coil. Anti knock crap will not help a misrunning motorcycle engine. You can't add anything to the fuel to help a misadjusted engine, car or motorcycle. If something is knocking, something is making contact with something else. Take the bike someplace else as suggested.

zr7tn

problem solved

Thanks every body. I found out it is a spun berring.it started boging (no power)out before I took it to the shop.the valves has been ticking for some time. I thought the problem was a sticking valve,but it was gas flow. the pet**** was on prime,thus filling crank case with gas. the spun berring happeng at the shop was not the shops fault.me and irby the shops owner talked "LIKE ADULTS" and worked the problem out.He is going to rebuild/fix the problem no charge for labor.I buy the parts. 50/50 fault. kawasaki zr750 W/32000

Last edited:

BL

Thanks every body. I found out it is a spun berring.it started boging (no power)out before I took it to the shop.the valves has been ticking for some time. I thought the problem was a sticking valve,but it was gas flow. the pet**** was on prime,thus filling crank case with gas. the spun berring happeng at the shop was not the shops fault.me and irby the shops owner talked "LIKE ADULTS" and worked the problem out.He is going to rebuild/fix the problem no charge for labor.I buy the parts. 50/50 fault. kawasaki zr750 W/32000
Great ,enjoy ...

justalayman

actually you are getting a heck of a deal since he really was not responsible for the engine problem and had no duty to share any of the costs with you.

glad to hear it has worked out in an acceptable manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">