• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Title Transfer Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickF53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota
Hello, I bought a motorcycle from someone at school about a month ago. It is a 89 gsx750f, and I got the title with the bike. Now after I had purchased it, I was excited about getting the bike and little had I known that the title was "invalid". I had the title in hand so I hadn't worried about any other problems. So I'm going to explain my problem as best as possible. I got a title that was designated in the state of Iowa. The two previous "owners" had title jumped and had not completed title transfer into their names (I'm assuming to avoid sales tax). The earliest owner (from the state of Iowa) isn't able to be contacted. I've looked the name and address up online to try and get some contact information and I ended up talking to the guys father, which I thought was weird because they both had the name of "Roy Al...", and so he told me I had been looking for the younger one and he had no way of contacting him. He seemed like a nice old guy so I held his word for it, he explained more than enough about his son and that he hadn't been in contact with him for years, so I was believing him and that's where that ended. That was the name on the "Signature/printed name of seller" lines. Now on the "signature/printed name of buyer" line, I have the name "Dane St....", which was crossed out and initialed by him, and then the next name "Jacob Br..." followed. The bike was sold to Dane by Roy, and Dane brought the bike up from Iowa to Minnesota, and than sold it to Jacob Br.. Dane had wrote out a letter on paper that was signed by him and this is what is noted along with the vehicle VIN#: " I Dane St.... no longer want to be on the title. I give Jacob Br... full rights to the title for bike 1989 Katana (gsx750f)." VIN# underneath that and both signatures of Dane and Jacob underneath the vin. Dane had also wrote down his personal number on the bottom, where I had contacted him. He told me that he had no information on Roy and that he couldn't help me. I got a bill of sale from Jacob just in case it was needed at the local DMV (North Dakota), and they were having none of it. I even went in a second time with Jacob to see if they would be able to transfer it to his name and they wouldn't do that either. I called a number that was given to me by the lady after the second time going in, and I talked to her about my situation(somebody in state office?). She pretty much told me the bike is worthless at this point because they can't do anything about the title unless I were to get an order of the court for the title transfer, or get Roy to fill out a 'statement of error, correction, or defacement' sheet, which is impossible unless it's legal for his dad to do it? So I'm left to just get an order of the court for this to all work. What am I looking at for expenses to get an attorney to help me do this? Is it even worth it? I feel like I just wasted $1500 all because a piece of paper. :mad:

justalayman

I feel like I just wasted $1500 all because a piece of paper.
it's not the paper. It is that you failed to perform due diligence by looking at that piece of paper and seeing all the crossed out names and still buying the thing.

If you can find the guy that sold it to you, make a demand for your money or a valid title. If he won't deliver one or the other, you can sue him. Then all you have to do is collect on the judgment.

NickF53

it's not the paper. It is that you failed to perform due diligence by looking at that piece of paper and seeing all the crossed out names and still buying the thing.

If you can find the guy that sold it to you, make a demand for your money or a valid title. If he won't deliver one or the other, you can sue him. Then all you have to do is collect on the judgment.
There's only one crossed out name and I was told it wouldn't be a problem. After talking to other friends they say they haven't had any trouble transferring a title like this. I'm going to contact him and ask for my money back, I'm guessing I won't get it back because he has already bought a new motorcycle with it. I hate to have to do this to him, but I guess it is his fault. So if I were to get the money from him, would I need to return ownership of the bike?
I have messaged him demanding my money back or a valid title and this is what he said: "You have to go to the owner with the name on the title. Legally I don't have to give you your money back. It's your job as a purchaser to be aware of what you're buying. You saw the title before you purchased the bike."
I didn't see the title until after I had given the payment.

Last edited:

justalayman

NickF53;3269340]There's only one crossed out name and I was told it wouldn't be a problem.
let me guess, the guy selling the bike to you told you that.

would I need to return ownership of the bike?
um, yes. Did you really have to ask that?

I have messaged him demanding my money back or a valid title and this is what he said: "You have to go to the owner with the name on the title. Legally I don't have to give you your money back. It's your job as a purchaser to be aware of what you're buying. You saw the title before you purchased the bike."
tell him you are more than willing to let the judge tell you that when the both of you are standing in front of one when you sue him.

NickF53

let me guess, the guy selling the bike to you told you that.

um, yes. Did you really have to ask that?

tell him you are more than willing to let the judge tell you that when the both of you are standing in front of one when you sue him.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to legal things, I appreciate the help. He said he'd try and contact the previous owner via police, dot, ect. If he doesn't come up with a solution, what law is he breaking? I'm not sure if it's technically "title jumping" because his name is on the buyer line. He just never went and paid the sales tax on it, so I believe that's where he is breaking a law. From the articles I've read online, people get away with it a lot, am I going to be able to hold that against him in court? Before I make a final decision and speak to an attorney, is there any way that I could just apply for a bonded title?

justalayman

I have no idea if your state has a bonded title and if it does, what the requirements are. Call the DMV for that info.

to the rest; it's very simple; he cannot transfer title to you until he has title in his name. so you can play with this all you want and you can let the guy play with you all you want. You can do something about it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">