• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move in on June 1st told on May 30 the building was sold.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

louve98

What is the name of your state?PA but moving to Chicago IL

I'm not really sure if I have a case but I would like some advice. I was supposed to move to Chicago, IL on June 1. I was planning on moving there with two friends who currently live there. I went up we picked out a place and we talked to the agent who showed us the place. We all agreed on the place and we sent the agent our checks for the first months rent. She said we would sign the lease and give the owner the security deposit on the first of June and we would get the keys. Well I told my friend to go over and looko at the place to see if I would need to buy two shower curtains for the one bathroom because when I saw it it wasn't finished yet so I didn't know if it went all around or just in front. Well on May 29 he went over and then called me. He said they didn't have the toilets in yet..nor the dishwaher, washer/dryer, refrigerator etc etcetc. I said they have 2 full days to get that stuff in before we move in so what's going on? So he called the agent on three way and she said "Well Ted knows your moving in on the 1st so he'll have it done, but I'll give him a call". On Friday the 30th Ted called the agent back(her name is Barb) and told her that his partner went behind his back and sold the place. Now I had to cancel my moving truck and stay in Pittsburgh. The whole reaon of moving up in June was that it would be easier to get a job as a server in the May-June months. I have since been back up to Chicago to look for another place. We found one and are moving in on July 1. My question is should we receive any compensation from these people? Barb assured me It wouldn't do any good to go to small claims court because we didn't sign any lease, but we were told that we would sign the Lease on the 1st when we paid our security depoist and got the keys. She said she would talk to Ted to see if he could compensate me for the money lost on my part but she couldn't because she isn't working right now. Which confuses me because she was shwoing apartmenst to us and others and she goes to her "office". I lost money traveling up there twice to look for places, and I bought my friend a ticket to come back to help me move(he had to take time off work) and just for all of the inconvenience. I think we might have a case but I'm not sure of IL laws ect. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Melinda
P.S the only checks that were cashed were for the credit check. She or he still has the rent checks but they weren't cashed. Also my friend had his title to his car sent to the new address and I had AAA mail sent there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">