• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Movers lost box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anjo

What is the name of your state? TN

Moved from GA to TN in May with Federal Government; movers lost a box of mine, didn't write down what was in it, and I can't remember, but guessed it to be clothing, tentative value $200.

Mover couldn't locate it, then sent a check for $200, with the stipulation that once I sign & cash the check, they are absolved of any future claims & liability.

The Gov't coordinator was useless, sort of oh well, whaddya want?

Can I cross out the stipulation on the back of the check & cash it anyway? I am ticked that THEY consider the matter closed, and that I forfeit any further action against them.

Just doesn't sound "right."

Advice?? Check expires in 60 days. seg

H

hexeliebe

didn't write down what was in it, and I can't remember, but guessed it to be clothing, tentative value $200.
Since you didn't write down the contents of the box the mover is trusting that you remembered the contents and the approximate value.

Can I cross out the stipulation on the back of the check & cash it anyway?
Sure you can.

I am ticked that THEY consider the matter closed, and that I forfeit any further action against them.
So? Who was responsible for the inventory of the contents of each box, labelling each box so you could tell which one was lost and its contents and who said the following:

didn't write down what was in it, and I can't remember, but guessed it to be clothing, tentative value $200.
You cash the check and you are agreeing that the value you placed on the box's contents are what the movers gave you.

This is a no-brainer. Either return the check, sue the movers and take the chance (a big chance) that you can win a bigger settlement (but don't bet on it since you don't know the contents of the box) or cash the check and be done with this issue.

AND NEXT TIME INVENTORY each box with a key like "Box 1", "Box 2"

Anjo

English is my second language

Not really, but I should've clarified the MOVERS didn't write the info down, only the box number (I guess you haven't moved much or you would know this).

They won't let you interfere but I should have, having had such a bad experience with Atlas before (but never a lost box). It IS their responsibility to categorize each boxes contents, or paraphrase; they didn't.

I guess I will cash the check, but will cross out that "not liable" on
back. And if they put up a fuss, well, let them. THEY lost it.

H

hexeliebe

So, in other words you had nothing to do with packing the boxes.

The movers took the things out of the cabinets, wrapped them, put them in boxes, taped the boxes and then moved them to the truck.

For your information youngster, I have lived in 24 states, five foreign countries and three different continents. And I have never lost a thing.

Why? Because, unlike you, I know things can happen and take measures to insure that if they do, I'm covered.

You can do what you want. But cashing the check with the crossed out "not liable" has no legal affect on your case. You admitted you didn't know what was in the box nor the value of the contents.

And English not being your first language is a poor excuse. Ich spreche auch Deutsch und Bayerisch un immer noch nicht ein box verlorne.

Anjo

Take a chill pill buddy

And get that crimp out of your drawers; it's a Government move & that should explain things, the don't touch the boxes & then whoops we lost one, guess the employee has to bite it!

Sheesh. And go find someone else to rag on.

H

hexeliebe

You know you're the perfect example of "Want some cheese with that Whine."

For your information whinner, you did nothing to mitigate the situation, the company has offered a settlement although you don't know what was in the box, the value of such or anything except 'a box is missing".

Guess what you'll get in court? NADA, Zip, nothing. And even if you could prove there were clothes in the box, how many of which kind and brand? A lawsuit, even if you won, would only be allowed to 'make you whole' which doesn't mean you get new clothes. You get the replacement value of the exact contents of the clothing.

So, if you wore the clothes just once they were used. Which means you get less than new value.

And for your information, I've gone through 5 goverment moves, two with the Air Force, one with FEMA, and two with NSA and three of those five were INTERNATIONAL moves. And not one box, not one item was ever lost.

So take your argument someplace else. LEGALLY either accept the settlement or gain less in court. If you get that far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">