• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maximian

What is the name of your state? VA

My husband and I were relocated by a New Jersey moving company from Massachusetts to Virginia in October 2004. The moving company damaged two items. I reported the damage to the moving company. The moving company submitted our claim to a 3rd party New York claims processing company. The claims processing company sent me a letter requesting information for the claim. I submitted the requested information in November 2004. The claims processing company claimed that I failed to send all of the necessary paperwork. We requested what was being asked for to be sent to us in writing. In January 2005 we received the 2nd letter requesting the additional information. We sent the additional information back to them. We called to check on the status of the claim; they gave us a deadline of March 28, 2005 for an adjustor to contact us. I waited until March 28, 2005 and still did not hear from an adjustor. That evening I left a message at the claims processing company that I had not heard from an adjustor yet. The claims processing company left a message on my phone on March 29, 2005 to call them back. I called the claims processing company back within half-an-hour and was told that the claims processing company was no longer handling claims from the moving company so they would not handling our claim. He suggested that we wait 2 more weeks and call back and he might have an answer on how the moving company will be handling our situation.

I contacted the company my husband works for that set us up with this moving company for his relocation and reimbursed us for what we paid the moving company. The person at his company called the claims processing company and was told that they left a message for me to call them back on March 29, 2005 but I never returned their phone call. I checked my phone records and have proof I did return the phone call to the claims processing company.

The person at the company my husband works for would like me to call the claims processing company tomorrow and find out what they say. Should I still be contacting the claims processing company since they have now made a bold-faced lie? Should all future contact with the claims processing company be through certified mail and never take or place phone calls from them again? Is it possible for an insurance company to start handling a claim then be able to back out after it has been initiated because they no longer are being paid by the moving company?

Maximian

I forgot to mention that when the person at the company my husband works at called, the guy from the claims processing company refused to discuss the details with her since she wasn't listed as a contact; he would only say that I never spoke with him this week.

I will probably just send a certified letter the the guy at the claims processing center today, rather than call him back, and state that she is the new contact and all further discussion of this claim should be through her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">