• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Companies...LEGAL THIEVES???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2trusting2

What is the name of your state? California

In short, I hired a moving co. from the local paper to move EVERYTHING I own (about $20,000 worth of furniture, etc.) from one local storage company to another, about 15 driving minutes away.

They picked up my property and NEVER SHOWED UP at the new storage. Even though the managers of BOTH storage companies are witnesses to the time they left the first storage and the time that I waited for them at the second one, the police say it's CIVIL!

The plain fact is I WAS ROBBED! LEGALLY!

They, the moving company, claims THEY were at the new storage and I WASN'T! The manager of the new storage co. even stayed open 1/2 hour late so I could wait for them!

Now they're trying to charge me "storage" and god knows what else. The PUC is trying to help (they've been after these particular crooks for awhile), but what do I do in the meantime? I'm in Los Angeles and by the time a civil suit gets into court, well, I doubt if I'll ever see my stuff again. I could afford the ORIGINAL quote, but now with them adding $100 a day for THEIR storage.....

I was told to sue them. How do you put a monetary value on a teddy bear your daddy gave you when you were 6 years old? He passed away in 1983. It's irreplaceable.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

And yes, I now realize I should have babysat them from beginning to end, but I needed to come home & check on my animals. They said they would meet me at the new storage. They lied.

HELP!!! :confused: :mad: :confused:

Last edited:

lwpat

Moving company scams are a nationwide problem and unfortunately the authorities are doing nothing to help the consumer. It seems that you have found this out.

"they've been after these particular crooks for awhile"

Then there would have been reports with the BBB. It is a very good idea to check with them before doing business with any company that you are not familar with. Anybody can advertise in the paper or on the internet, including crooks.

You need the advice and help of an attorney. Try the button at the top or email me and I will give you some other ULR's that may be of assistance. [email protected]
:D :D :D

2trusting2

Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, I should have checked with the BBB & the vast amount of other resources, but, this particular move was done in haste to get away from a 'not so nice' ex-boyfriend. The last 5 months have been unreal.

I visited your web site and you seem like a stand up kind of guy. I would really appreciate any URL's you could send that might be of help. The PUC can only work so fast. They, the moving company, have THE RIGHT to auction off my things 30 days from the date of pick up!!! It takes longer than that just to get a court date in L.A.!

Anyway, ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

:confused: :mad: :confused:

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner...

If the law states they have the right to auction your things after 30 days get down to an attorney or the court immediately and file an injunction against them selling or auctioning any of your property until such time as a court of competent jurisdiction can adjudicate the matter.

This will stop them from converting your belongings and give you time to file an action against them.

2trusting2

THANK YOU!!!!

You're the first one to mention that to me! I'll do it tomorrow!

Again, thank you.

:)

2trusting2

Is there an actual "injunction" form?

I don't have the $ for an attorney. Can I do this on my own? If so...how??

Thank you.

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

H

hexeliebe

Of course you can

but I would first check with legal services in your area.

I'm in Tennessee so all I can tell you is how things operate here. As you know, people who are charged with a crime are allowed to have an attorney appointed to represent them if they don't have the money.

That option hasn't been available to people involved in a civil matter such as you are until only recently. Tennessee now has a Pro Bono fund and committee to allow people who are faced with civil actions a pro bono attorney but only for advice and help in filing certain forms.

I don't know if California has such a fund but the first thing I would do is visit (don't call) the court clerk's office where this company is holding your belongings. Ask questions. And take all of your documents, letters and contracts. Tell the clerk you want to file for an emergency injunction to stop the sale until you have had a chance to file suit against them.

You can also ask for any pamplets and/or documents they have to help you file your injunction and while you're at it, ask for any information they have on filing a small claims court action.

I've been a liberal for all of my life but I will tell you this. Most court clerks are just people. And if you are civil and ask for their help they will be more than glad to help you. They are not allowed to give legal advice (so please don't ask them if they think you have a case) and they are not allowed to make legal suggestions so please only tell them you need help to file certain papers and you would like to understand the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">