• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Company deposit refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shwin

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Recently hired a moving company to move my furniture from Maryland to Nevada.

I paid an initial $295 deposit to get things going. A pick-up date and approximate time was established and agreed upon (3/9/03).

Pickup day came and went, but no truck came to pick up.

I called the moving company first thing the next morning. Apparently there was a miscommunication issue between the moving company and the dispatch department. They insisted that the furniture would be picked up today. Going back and forth trying to get an estimated pick-up time, but they could not get in touch with the driver. I clearly informed them that I would give them until 3PM to contact the driver, otherwise I would cancel. 3PM came and went. They still could not contact the driver and therefore could not guarantee a pickup time. I cancelled the contract and asked for a refund of my deposit. They refused to issue me a refund.

Note that the moving company did state the following in an email sent to me:
In order to receive a refund on your deposit, you must cancel your reservation at least 8 business days prior to your original date of service.

Am I entitled to a refund?

Since I was leaving for Nevada the next day, I had to get my furniture picked up no later than 3/10/03. I went with another moving company which picked up within 2 hours.

djohnson

The thing that they cited to you would have no bearing on this case, in my opinion. They broke the contract and should refund the deposit. Probably you got someone there that could not make that decision and said the only thing they knew to say. I would try sending a letter RRR to them explaining how they defaulted and requesting your deposit back. If you get the right person there it shouldn't be a problem since they are the ones that dropped the ball.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">