• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DWBryce

PA -

I was wondering if it is legal to produce CDs for events such as weddings, anniversaries, Bar Mitzvahs. etc. that will be given away as gifts - not sold. Is this a violation of copyright law since the order itself would be sold to those who will be distributing them?

JETX

The copying of the CD's themselves shouldn't be a legal problem, however, the issue will be the CONTENTS of the CD's.

If the content (photo's, music, etc.) are NOT your original works (or that of the CD owner), your copying them and sale (or distribution) could be a violation of copyright laws.

Z

zappy

I am a dj, and it is illegal for me to do it as a business. I had to turn down lots of requests for burning cdr's.

It is also illegal for you to do it as well, but since a wedding is a private affair not open to the public, no one is really going to bother you.

And yes most of the weddings I dj'ed lately someone makes gifts of CDR's for the guests, what can i do about it...tell you over the microphone its illegal and To collect them all back or i'll quit playing music and ruin the brides day?

You can be discreet about it, like hand them out as they leave the venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">