• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mva mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ostiguy86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I recently renewed my tags for my car at a mva express location. 3 days later I drove my car and within a mile from my house was pulled over by a police officer. At which point he informed me that the tag readers in his car were showing my tags as expired. I presented all my paper work drivers license, registration and the receipt from the mva express proving I renewed my tags. When he returned to my car he presented me with a ticket with 4 charges. 1 displaying expired registration plate issued by any state 2 driving vehicle on highway without current registration plates and validation tabs 3 knowningly possess of veh. With falsified id 4 attaching unauthorized veh. Reg. plate with intent to conceal, misrepresent veh. I'd. My question is how can I make sure someone is held accountable for this mistake so that this is not a reoccurring problem, and other motorist don't face the same hardship as me. As now I have to take off work to go to court and can't drive my car until this problem is resolved, so I am without transportation. Please help. Any one who can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.

justalayman

hold them accountable for what?

not only does it appear the tags were expired (although that is possibly able to be fought), but these two charges:

validation tabs 3 knowningly possess of veh. With falsified id 4 attaching unauthorized veh. Reg. plate with intent to conceal, misrepresent veh.
appear to suggest the plates did/t belong on the car.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I recently renewed my tags for my car at a mva express location. 3 days later I drove my car and within a mile from my house was pulled over by a police officer. At which point he informed me that the tag readers in his car were showing my tags as expired. I presented all my paper work drivers license, registration and the receipt from the mva express proving I renewed my tags. When he returned to my car he presented me with a ticket with 4 charges. 1 displaying expired registration plate issued by any state 2 driving vehicle on highway without current registration plates and validation tabs 3 knowningly possess of veh. With falsified id 4 attaching unauthorized veh. Reg. plate with intent to conceal, misrepresent veh. I'd. My question is how can I make sure someone is held accountable for this mistake so that this is not a reoccurring problem, and other motorist don't face the same hardship as me. As now I have to take off work to go to court and can't drive my car until this problem is resolved, so I am without transportation. Please help. Any one who can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Seems those MVA offices have a contact person so that one can report problems. Mayhaps you should start there. :cool:

Ostiguy86

hold them accountable for what?

not only does it appear the tags were expired (although that is possibly able to be fought), but these two charges:

appear to suggest the plates did/t belong on the car.
I know what the charges are and I can assure you that everything on my end is legit correct tags and all info. But as far as for what.. For there mistake same as if I made a mistake that resulted in another persons loss. I would be held accountable to reimburse them for there losses. What are they exempt from the law. But As far as money I'm not interested. My dilemma is I now face jail time for no fault of my own. I'm a law abiding tax paying citizen with no previous charges. I have owned this car for 10 years with the same tags the only thing that changed were my validation stickers every 2 years. I know I will beat it in court how could I not I have all the legit paperwork. I want to make sure the next person maybe even you doesn't have to be falsely charged with a crime they didn't commit

justalayman

My dilemma is I now face jail time for no fault of my own.
How is that?

If what you did is legitimate (I do not know your tag system so I'll leave that up to you to verify), and nothing else was actually a valid charge, you should be exonerated upon presentation of the proof.

and you have no idea what the error is so how would you know who to even go after?

Ostiguy86

Seems those MVA offices have a contact person so that one can report problems. Mayhaps you should start there. :cool:
Thank you I will give that a try but all there compliant departments relate to specific situations ie. identity theft, drivers ed problems. But I will contact them all tomorrow. It so messed up cause now I have to hire legal counsel which is going to be 500-1500 upfront as I'm not willing to risk jail time for not knowing what to say in court

Ostiguy86

How is that?

If what you did is legitimate (I do not know your tag system so I'll leave that up to you to verify), and nothing else was actually a valid charge, you should be exonerated upon presentation of the proof.

and you have no idea what the error is so how would you know who to even go after?
Very true I have no doubt I will be exonerated and have no idea where the error occurred. But is there no system in place to protect me,the consumer from this kind of thing. Or find out where the error occurred and repair the damage they have done. I am worried and want legal counsel as I'm not a criminal or lawyer and don't know how the system works. And I'm sure legal counsel will cost me a good $500 to $1500. What do I do now

Proserpina

Very true I have no doubt I will be exonerated and have no idea where the error occurred. But is there no system in place to protect me,the consumer from this kind of thing. Or find out where the error occurred and repair the damage they have done. I am worried and want legal counsel as I'm not a criminal or lawyer and don't know how the system works. And I'm sure legal counsel will cost me a good $500 to $1500. What do I do now

Pay it, or represent yourself.

Then write your congressperson to change the law.

Ostiguy86

Pay it, or represent yourself.

Then write your congressperson to change the law.
That's is what I feared,its just so wrong that is is how the system works. I have to come out of pocket right before Christmas. Guess it will be a sad Christmas for the kids this year. But at least I'll be there I guess

Ostiguy86

That's is what I feared,its just so wrong that is is how the system works. I have to come out of pocket right before Christmas. Guess it will be a sad Christmas for the kids this year. But at least I'll be there I guess
I will check back periodically if any one else can shed light on the situation i greatly appreciate it. As I'm against the wall and will be acquiring counsel tomorrow after contacting the mva complaint department.. Many many thanks in advance as your words of advice are priceless to me. I will keep you all updated as the case proceeds. So if any one else faces this problem they at least know there not alone.

OHRoadwarrior

According to this you can obtain your sticker and temp registration at the kiosk. It appears your tickets are for failing to do so.

Kiosk Services - The services available at the kiosk are:

Vehicle Registration Renewal (sticker delivered at kiosk)
Non-Commercial Drivers License Renewal (Drivers License will be mailed to address on record)
ID Card Renewal (ID Card will be mailed to address on record)
Request Driving Records
Request Replacement Title
VEIP Extension
Duplicate/additional registration cards (card delivered at kiosk)
Order plates (Agricultural, Chesapeake Bay, Personalized & Standard)
Pay Administrative Flag fees
Request County Pride sticker
PIN Management
Temporary Registration (delivered at kiosk)
Substitute Sticker (delivered at kiosk)
Email Management
Emergency Contact
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Hours-Locations/baltimorecounty.htm

justalayman

I recently renewed my tags for my car at a mva express location. 3 days later I drove my car and within a mile from my house was pulled over by a police officer. At which point he informed me that the tag readers in his car were showing my tags as expired.
Now it all becomes clearer.

it sounds like OP altered the tags that were on his car and never actually purchased new stickers. It sounds like the plates were also registered to a different vehicle.

Ostiguy86

According to this you can obtain your sticker and temp registration at the kiosk. It appears your tickets are for failing to do so.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Hours-Locations/baltimorecounty.htm
That is correct. And I did obtain the stickers and have my current up to date permanent registration. I am familiar with the kiosks they have inside the mva. But I did not obtain them from there. In MD the mva offers express locations with limited services kind of like the kiosks. But they are ran by people. And that's the route I went and received my stickers and permanent registration same day, just like the mva but on a smaller scale. I can assure you that all my paper work is legit. I would not benefit from your guys and galls advice unless I tell you all true accurate information. Any advice is appreciated

Ostiguy86

Now it all becomes clearer.

it sounds like OP altered the tags that were on his car and never actually purchased new stickers. It sounds like the plates were also registered to a different vehicle.
OP? And the tags and stickers are registered to this car I have the registrations for the last 6 years showing them on there. I have made no alterations of any shape or form. The registration has the vin that matches this car and these plates

justalayman

so when you showed the cop all this legit paperwork showing which MVA center you purchased this from and the brand new paperwork showing the tags were valid and current, he simply walked away telling you to show it to the judge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">