• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My item arrived broken and the shipper doesn't want to pay for the repairs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justimagine5

I bought a large fiberglass statue from a collector in Florida. The item was picked up, crated and shipped via Craters and Freighters of SW Fl., a well-known company for shipping such items. It was insured for 5,000 dollars automatically as it was to be crated. It arrived damaged and I was told, "We'll take care of you, " and was asked to get a repair estimate. The first came in at 2,000 dollars and Craters balked, saying it was ridiculously high. The second came in at about 500.00 for a spot repair, but they were not entirely sure the repair would be invisible. (The statue is seamless and silver in color) Aren't I entitled to be satisfied with the repair? What if it needs more work to be invisible. (which is what the first guy promised) Both repairs were well under the 5,000. Craters promised to send me papers to sign for the second estimate- but they have not sent anything. This item was shipped in July and I'd like to get it finished. Do I have to get a lawyer in Fl and sue for more than the amount to pay him? (I live in MS) I have all the emails between the shipping company and me. The 8-ft statue cannot be easily carried to repair shops for estimates and most places will not make house-calls. I have only been able to get the two estimates in several months. What should I do?

mmmagique

You (and your statue :p) are entitled to be made whole.

The $500. estimate will not guarantee a seamless repair, but the $2000. one will? You are insured for up to $5000. (provided you can prove the value of the statue) I would insist on the statue being repaired correctly, or being compensated for the piece.

OHRoadwarrior

The insurance, as I recollect, is between Craters n Freighters and the shipper. It appears you would need to sue the shipper and the seller. Is this an antique or can it be replaced by the collector?

justimagine5

As I understand it from a friend who used to work for UPS, the company (Craters and Shippers) carries it's own insurance. That is, it goes into an account until someone files a claim. All big shipping companies do this. I can prove it's value and no, the shipper cannot replace it. It is a replica of the robot from the 1951 film, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Approx 30 were made and the base unit before shipping is 7,500 dollars. (You can still get one from the builder) This is easily seen online. The clear-coat paint has a good crack in it and it will have to be redone. The statue is seamless and painted with 1966 ASTON ****** SILVER LACQUER in 6 coats and three clear coats. (Mine differs from the standard ALUMINUM SILVER paint it normally comes in. The clear will have to be sanded down and re-applied. A whole coating may be necessary for an invisible job. The company only wants to pay for a spot job. Very few places will tackle this sort of thing nowdays- and it is ALOT of trouble for me to transport it there and get it fixed. (It sure won't fit in my car) I paid more than 1,100 dollars to crate and ship it here from Fla. It arrived several days late, (after being mysteriously held up in Nashville over a week-end), and it came on a 53 ft commercial truck instead of the specified Bob-truck with lift. The driver didn't even have a two-wheeler, so he pushed the almost 400lb crate out the back and we tipped it on edge in the street, then I found a piano-mover platform and we pushed it up my drive until it was at my house. The seller swears it was in perfect condition and the shipper told me his guys wrapped it before it arrived for crating, so he never saw it. I only know it's damaged- what was the insurance for if not to fix it right? The shippers are in lower Florida and I'm in Mississippi. I think they are waiting for me to drop it as it will be too expensive for me to pursue the repair. I do have all the emails back and forth with them.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears the item is a total loss. I would expect payment of up to $5000, depending on what you paid and let them deal with the remains. Its value is gone based on the repair I would think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">