• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My new pet died...What can I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Simonsays

I live in New York State. On August 11th I purchases a 14 week old parrot (Macaw). I paid $2000.00 for the bird and my receipt read that they guarantee the health of the bird at the time of purchase. The bird died on Sept 14th dispite my efforts to save him. I took him to 3 different hospitals and incurred over $1300 in medicals bills. I contacted the pet shop and they said that their policy is no refunds but they would replace the bird with another. They would not cover the medical expenses. I found out that they got the bird from a breeder. He arrived at their store on June 14th and they weened the bird themselves. He never had any immunizations or medical examinations. He passed away at The Animal Medical Center in Manhattan where they have done an autopsy and are awaiting results. They are fairly sure that he had an infection, virus or disease and was sick at the time of purchase.
If the test results confirm this, do I have any legal recourse? I'm not ready for a replacement pet and I would like my money back as well as medical expenses. May I be entitled to this? Please help!

Thanks
Kristen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">