• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change of Ownership and Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PBL

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
:confused:

I need to know how to change the name on an auto loan without having to refinance. The auto was purchased in a friends name and I co-signed, but I have been making the payments. The buyer does not want their name on title/loan anymore. Trying to find some kind of way to reverse the name to co-signers name. Is this possible or not. I thought that it could be done through the finance company by changing the account information, but they are saying no. The owner does not want the responsiblity anymore. I tried to refinance to change name and now I need a co-signer. Can an attorney do a name change without refinancing? All payments are current and up to date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You

teflon_jones

There is no way to change this without paying off the loan in its entirety or else by refinancing it just in your name (which creates a brand new loan and closes the old one).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">