• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National company contract limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trinityjcm

What is the name of your state? SC

This is just a general question. Is a contract from a company that is run out of 1 state break the state law of another state it wants to do business in? An example of what I'm asking is as follows:

Company A resides in NY. Under new york law it is able to charge $60 late payment fee on an account that is overdue. This company also does business in, lets say, SC, where SC law is that the business can only charge $10 late payment on an overdue account. However, in the companies contract, the standard late fee is still labeled at $60. (please note that this is not a real case or laws, just an example)

My questions is what is the legality of this contract. Also, what are other national company laws that I may possibly look up (as finding federal business law is very difficult I have found out) as I can't find a clear description on the federal level as to what laws a Corporation is exempt from when doing business in other states.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">