• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Mechanic's Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColeGray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in North Carolina and my vehicle is titled here. On Feb 2 I decided to sell my car to a junkyard because it needed a new engine. The car was at the shop and the wrecker service asked me to send them the title so they could pick up the car from the shop. I gave the shop permission to give the car to the tow truck driver and sent the title to the wrecker service.

The wrecker service said they would send me a check for the car ($200) when they received the title. I sent the title on Feb 9. On Mar 12 I received a "Notice of Intent to Sell a Vehicle to Satisfy Storage and/or Mechanic's Lien." This is the first letter I have received and it came certified mail.

The form (LT-262) stated that the date of storage was Jan 10, but this is completely false. There is no way they picked up before Feb 10.

Apparently the title was lost in the mail. Getting a new one may take up to 4 weeks. If I can get a new title to him, does the lien hold water?

Does he have the right to file for a lien after only 30 days? Clearly he stated false information on the form saying it has been in storage for 60 days.

Do I need to dispute the validity of the lien or request a judicial hearing?

I appreciate any advice that directs me towards a simple, inexpensive, and court free process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">