• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ND Legality of being forced to pay a University laptop rental fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinny89

North Dakota

Well basically I never picked the laptop up and am being charged for it. Is there any law for services not rendered that might get me out of the "obligation" to pay for it?

Antigone*

North Dakota

Well basically I never picked the laptop up and am being charged for it. Is there any law for services not rendered that might get me out of the "obligation" to pay for it?
It all depends on what you signed. Please hold your contract up to the monitor so we can see its terms and conditions.:rolleyes:

xylene

North Dakota

A college or university definitely can force you to use, purchase or rent any equipment it specifies.

Why did you not pick up the laptop?

Your whole situation is unclear, but

You choosing to not take possession of the item does not mean it is "services not rendered" and you are not liable.

I am also not sure why you are quoting "obligation".

I am also confused by the use of the word "forced"

vinny89

I wrote it quick so no pun intended on the wording.

I did not pick it up because I already owned a superior laptop and in reality it would have just collected dust under my bed over the semester had I picked it up.

I never signed a contract for it, so that is one of the reasons I am asking about it.

xylene

I did not pick it up because I already owned a superior laptop and in reality it would have just collected dust under my bed over the semester had I picked it up.
Your laptop is irrelevant.

Reread this statement

A college or university definitely can force you to use, purchase or rent any equipment it specifies.

Being in possesion of 'superior' equipment does not mean you have a pass.

I could think of several dozen excellent reasons, of the top of my head, why a university would want (and require) a standardized piece of learning equipment.

You are college material, so I am sure you can too.

They don't have to be reasons you agree with.

One very simple one, which they have every right to employ, is to make money.

I never signed a contract for it, so that is one of the reasons I am asking about it.
You never signed ANYTHING when you enrolled in college?

I find that super doubtful.

vinny89

Your laptop is irrelevant.

Reread this statement

Being in possesion of 'superior' equipment does not mean you have a pass.

I could think of several dozen excellent reasons, of the top of my head, why a university would want (and require) a standardized piece of learning equipment.

You are college material, so I am sure you can too.

They don't have to be reasons you agree with.

One very simple one, which they have every right to employ, is to make money.

You never signed ANYTHING when you enrolled in college?

I find that super doubtful.
I meant I never signed a specific laptop related contract. Of course I signed paperwork to get in.

The laptop program is going to come to an end after this semester and was only for people in my major.

When a laptop fee is 340 dollars a semester, however it adds up to the cost of buying the thing in the first place pretty quick.

But I understand I am probably running uphill here, that is why I asked the question in the first place

HomeGuru

I meant I never signed a specific laptop related contract. Of course I signed paperwork to get in.

The laptop program is going to come to an end after this semester and was only for people in my major.

When a laptop fee is 340 dollars a semester, however it adds up to the cost of buying the thing in the first place pretty quick.

But I understand I am probably running uphill here, that is why I asked the question in the first place
**A: pay up and chalk it up as a lesson learned to abide by the terms and provisions in your signed contract. Maybe you could have gotten a waiver had you discussed this issue before the start of the semester.

vinny89

**A: pay up and chalk it up as a lesson learned to abide by the terms and provisions in your signed contract. Maybe you could have gotten a waiver had you discussed this issue before the start of the semester.
I signed no contract explicitly speaking of the laptop though. And I did try to get them to waive the fee at the beginning of the semester.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">