• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice: Sold a motorcycle not sure who to give the title to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motoquestion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I sold a my motorcycle to a young man who told me on multpile occasions he was checking out the bike but it was his girlfriend who was buying it. When he cam to pick up the bike he again said it was his girlfriends money but he signed the bill of sale. a few days later his girlfriend said he ran off with the bike. They both want the title now, who do i legally need to give it to. The guy whose name is on the title or the girlfriend who actually paid for it?

Banned_Princess

I sold a my motorcycle to a young man who told me on multpile occasions he was checking out the bike but it was his girlfriend who was buying it. When he cam to pick up the bike he again said it was his girlfriends money but he signed the bill of sale. a few days later his girlfriend said he ran off with the bike. They both want the title now, who do i legally need to give it to. The guy whose name is on the title or the girlfriend who actually paid for it?
The guy who bought the bike. If GF wanted to buy it, she should have at least shown up with the cash to receive the bill of sale. Tell them its not your problem, and the title goes to the man who's on the bill of sale.

Why didn't you give the guy the title at the time of purchase? Did you get cash?

justalayman

The guy gave you the money. If he says put the title in his name, it goes in his name. If he says to put it in the girls name, you do that.

as to whose money it was; if a bank lends you money to buy a car, does the bank become the owner? Of course not. The girl and the guy can figure out their situation between themselves. You aren't a part of it.

motoquestion

The guy who bought the bike. If GF wanted to buy it, she should have at least shown up with the cash to receive the bill of sale. Tell them its not your problem, and the title goes to the man who's on the bill of sale.

Why didn't you give the guy the title at the time of purchase? Did you get cash?
I was given cash, the bike had to be paid off before I got the title from the bank. They were ok with waiting for the title. Then the girlfriend contacted me to try and get it a few days later.

justalayman

It isn't the girls bike. The guy paid you the money. It is up to him to determine who is listed on the title. Let the girl and the guy settle their problems themselves. Do not get yourself wrapped up in this.

Here is what I see would happen if you give the girl the title:

the guy comes back and says; either give me the title or give me back my money. Yes, as far as you are concerned, it is his money so you would be obligated to return it to him.

btw: not saying this is a scam but is sure sets itself up as one. If you give the girl the title, the guy comes back for his money and if necessary, sues you (and he will win). Then you have to figure out how to get the money (and how much is not actually able to be determined because you did not negotiate the sale with the girl) from the girl. If they already sold the bike, good luck getting anything.

BL

His name is already on the title ?

BTW , the girl did not accually pay YOU for it .

That's just what you were told.

xylene

The girlfriend has zero claim to the title.

Grant title to the buyer.

Tell her you'll call the cops if she comes around again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">