• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need duplicate invoice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesbutton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

When I was at an equipment show out of state, I agreed to buy a piece of equipment, and paid with certified funds and with funds from a loan application processed via the selling dealer. The machinery was subsequently delivered to me by the dealer, and it took another month to get an invoice and a check for the overpaid amount. The invoice was printed light and with a colored ink which faded out when it was in sunlight. I have since contacted the dealer for a duplicate invoice and they have been non-responsive.

Is there anything I can do to get a duplicate invoice or statement?

justalayman

They have no obligation to provide you with a duplicate. You might try offering to pay for their time to research their records and make a copy for you.

Dandy Don

In your request for a duplicate invoice, did you explain that the original was difficult to read?

What information are you hoping to get from the original invoice that you do not already have?

jamesbutton

In your request for a duplicate invoice, did you explain that the original was difficult to read?

What information are you hoping to get from the original invoice that you do not already have?
Yes, I explained that the initial invoice was pastel ink on pastel textured paper and after a week or two was uncopyable, and unreadable. My accountant will not accept the invoice as a legible business record. The figures are unreadable. I simply need a document covering my transaction. The purchase price was on the order of $28K. At first I thought that a duplicate invoice would never be a problem, now it seems that it is much more complicated, and for reasons I cannot understand.

Dandy Don

Ask your accountant if he would be willing to write a letter to this business to ask for a duplicate invoice on your behalf, and his letter should mention that you gave him permssion to ask.

Hopefully, he will agree to do so. IF he doesn't, then you should submit another request (by certified mail, so you will have the recipient's signature as proof they received it) to explain that your accountant needs it for income tax purposes.

jamesbutton

Ask your accountant if he would be willing to write a letter to this business to ask for a duplicate invoice on your behalf, and his letter should mention that you gave him permssion to ask.

Hopefully, he will agree to do so. IF he doesn't, then you should submit another request (by certified mail, so you will have the recipient's signature as proof they received it) to explain that your accountant needs it for income tax purposes.
One of his assistants called them early Jan 2016, and they did not respond. So then I emailed, called talking to the owner, and then emailed again. Two months later, nothing.

I have spent some time searching business laws to see if there is a requirement to provide records, or copies of records. The only thing I have come up with is to file a court case, and then obtain the records during discovery.

At this point I have a couple hundred dollars in labor on trying to get this invoice.

It is not clear to me what the benefit of a certified letter is, as all it does is prove that they received a piece of mail.

Dandy Don

So that in the rare event that the tax authorities may have questions about this, you will be able to prove that you made an effort to get the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">