• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help with bad dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cmyers

Ok here it goes i bought my car a, 2003 hyundia tiburon on july,23,05. it had 9050 miles on it. I was told that it was under factory warranty. To be safe i also bought a extended warranty. Now when i bought the car It was supercharged, and the gas guage was busted. Now i bought the car from a subaru store, so the dealer i bought it from said to take it to a hyundia store and they would fix my gas gauge for free under the factory warranty. So i took it there and come to find out that no my car did not have a warranty at all from hyundia. Then when i talked my extened warranty company they said my warranty through them was also void, because the plan that i got was only offerd if the car had a factory warranty when sold, and because mine did not at the time of sale to me it was void. Now the dealer says the even though i have the window sticker saying it had a factory warranty ( from my understanding this is a fedral document, mandated by law) and the dealer admits it openly that it was sold to me under that impression. That the dealr was not responsable for any thing, and that that was a risk when i bought the car, and i had no legal leg to stand on. And i am now stuck with a car that has no warranty of any kind, and i cant trade it in on anything because i will get aboout 7000 less then what a dealer would pay for it with a warranty and with out the super charger.
plz if anyone has any insight, and tell me if i really am screwed i would be very thankfull

seniorjudge

Cmyers said:
Ok here it goes i bought my car a, 2003 hyundia tiburon on july,23,05. it had 9050 miles on it. I was told that it was under factory warranty. To be safe i also bought a extended warranty. Now when i bought the car It was supercharged, and the gas guage was busted. Now i bought the car from a subaru store, so the dealer i bought it from said to take it to a hyundia store and they would fix my gas gauge for free under the factory warranty. So i took it there and come to find out that no my car did not have a warranty at all from hyundia. Then when i talked my extened warranty company they said my warranty through them was also void, because the plan that i got was only offerd if the car had a factory warranty when sold, and because mine did not at the time of sale to me it was void. Now the dealer says the even though i have the window sticker saying it had a factory warranty ( from my understanding this is a fedral document, mandated by law) and the dealer admits it openly that it was sold to me under that impression. That the dealr was not responsable for any thing, and that that was a risk when i bought the car, and i had no legal leg to stand on. And i am now stuck with a car that has no warranty of any kind, and i cant trade it in on anything because i will get aboout 7000 less then what a dealer would pay for it with a warranty and with out the super charger.
plz if anyone has any insight, and tell me if i really am screwed i would be very thankfull

What is your legal question for us?

Cmyers

i need to know if i really dont have a leg to stand on. can the dealer really sell me a car with a warranty, when it does not have one and donothing to fix the problem, and can i sue or will i just be waisting what little money i have left?

I never did like the broncos

By law, your car must come with a buyer's guide which indicates whether the car is being sold as-is, or if a warranty is included either by the manufacturer or the dealer.

What does your buyer's guide say?

Also, this car should be under factory warranty unless it was totalled, which would void the factory warranty. If I'm not mistaken, the basic coverage is 5yr/60k and the powertrain is 10yr/100k which means this car should be covered.

Why did the Hyundai dealer say the car was out of warranty? Most important:what does the buyer's guide say?

Don't mind senor judge; I think he is more familiar with napoleonic law. Maybe he and homeguru can team up with someone else and stage a 3 Stooges revival rather than waste people's time on this site.

Last edited:

Cmyers

Well the reason my factory warranty is void, is that supercharger that i metioned. I wass told by elway that it was a factory installed part and so it caried a full factory warranty, which was 5yr/50k because i was the second owner i only got half. But as i said i was told by the dealer that it had a factory warranty, And on the buyers gudie it is clearly marked as both having the supercharger and a Full factory warranty.

justalayman

I think I've got it.

The car did not come from the factory with a supercharger.
Somebody put one on, this resulted in voiding the factory warranty.

Elway Subaru mis-represented the car as having a factory warranty when in reality it didn't.

Correct so far Cmeyers?

Cmyers

yep, anwd now they say that i am SOL and thats a risk that i take when buying a car from them, and that i really have no legal leg to stand on. plz tell me that this is not correct.

justalayman

Well first I want to assure you I am not an attorney so take any info I give you as justalayman's opinion and advice. Hopefully one of the real legal eagles will drop on by with advice. But I'll run as far as I can.

With that said.

Do you have the window sheet? (it has a proper term but it eludes me at the moment)

What do the documents you signed for the purchase say about a warranty or lack of?

Cmyers

see this is where it gets funny, i have the window sticker aka the buyers guide. and the extended waranty. Now normally the extended waranty is just that a stand alone warranty. But i called the company who its through, and they were nice enough to inform me that i was sold a platnum package, i know this might shock all but its the most expensive one they sell. And one requirement for this plan is that the car has a factory warranty. Now i was lucky enough to get the person who sold the original policy when i bought the car and she said that the policy would not have been sold unless the dealer said that they knew for a fact that it had a factory warranty. and she even signed notarized and mailed me a statement to this effect

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">