• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help please w/ Consignment shop transaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharyn

MARYLAND

QUESTION: I consigned an expensive item with a consignment shop. They're now claiming they sold it for $400 less then the agreed upon sales price because it had been there more then 60 days.

I now know it was sold within the 60 days and possibly not discounted at all.

HISTORY:

Last Sept. I brought my Mother's Black Diamond Full Length Mink fur coat to a consignment shop. We
agreed upon a sales price of $1,100 and I was told that after 60 days the prices could be discounted.

I recently called asking about the coat and was told it sold for $400 less then the agreed upon price
because it had been there a while. I asked to pick up a check and was told that was fine, Each time I
called before going to the store, and each time I was put off to another day.

Finally told her I depended on this money and she agreed to have the check ready last Friday. However
when I arrived, she told me the check was cut in early November and mailed. She showed me the
carbon copy of her printed checks.

I moved November 7th; my mail is forwarded but I never received this check nor was it returned to her.

She told me I'd have to wait a couple weeks for her to straighten this out with the bank. I informed her
it would only take one phone call and 5 minutes for the bank to see if its cleared, stop payment and
allow her to reissue another check.

She flatly refused to call the bank, informing me she was a business woman and her husband was a
lawyer and that was the way she was going to do business.

She added that if she had to cancel the check, she would deduct the cost of the stop payment fee from
my check.

I calmly asked her if the profit of $350 from one coat wasn't already enough to cover her business
expenses? she said "No"

then she tried to intimidate me by threatening to call the police. I was relieved and said "please be my
guest,

then she called her "lawyer" husband claiming "this woman won't leave her store"

I realized this wasn't going anywhere so I left, but I took her lead and I called the police. They said I
was doing the right thing.

the police arrived and talked to the owner, without me. They got her to agree to write me a check this
Wednesday instead of a couple weeks from now.

SUSPICION: after I left I began to suspect the coat was sold for the original price and not discounted at
all because if a check was written in early November, then the coat sold in October. which is less then
60 days as I brought the coat to her in September.

QUESTION: What rights do I have to view the actual sales records or to request proof of the actual sales?

Any feedback or guidance is deeply appreciated.
Thank you so much

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">