• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help weighing options for deal gone bad.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

activistgirl

I live in Arizona. My husband's sister and brother-in-law live in Kansas.

We recently moved to AZ and had to leave behind a vehicle for a brief amount of time. When my husband went back to KS to retrieve the vehicle and finish moving our stuff he ended up selling our Jeep to his brother-in-law and sister. We have a loan on this vehicle for $3000 and it is in both of our names. They signed an agreement to purchase the vehicle for $2750, which is less than we paid (we actually paid $3300) and we also put two new tires on it at a value of about $200. The agreement states that they will pay us $150 per month on the 10th of each month. We are not charging interest, even though we are still making payments to the bank at 11.5% interest. They also agreed to keep it insured and send us proof.

The vehicle was running at the time we sold it to them. It is a 79 Jeep CJ-5. They now claim it has many things wrong with it, which we cannot prove or dis-prove at this time. I have never met his sister and her husband, so I do not know how trustworthy they are.

Bottom line is that they have not made their first payment or sent proof of insurance and the second payment date is nearing and they have moved. His parents do not know a phone number or forwarding address. We cannot even send them a registered letter at this juncture.

I am considering suing them for breach of contract plus expenses incurred in having to go pick it up. Also, the vehicle was running at the time of sale and I don't know if that would give them fuel to counter-sue or if perhaps it doesn't run due to mis-use on their part.

Anyone with insight in this messy situation?
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">